Converting System Distribution Lists
Before you convert distribution lists, make sure that you have converted user accounts to custom recipients during directory synchronization (for more information, see Microsoft Exchange Server Operations). Then, perform the following steps:
- Print the distribution lists to a file.
- Use the Digital ALL-IN-1 system manager account to create a list of system distribution lists.
- Use the Directory Export command in the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program to export a list of custom recipients.
- In the list of distribution lists, replace all the account names with the directory or common names from the custom recipient export list.
- Convert the list of distribution lists to directory import format (for information, see Chapter 3 in this guide, or see Microsoft Exchange Server Maintenance and Troubleshooting.
- For nested distribution lists, take the data from the common-name field of each group and replace the common-name of the Digital ALL-IN-1 distribution list's custom recipient in the members field of all the distribution lists.
- Import the file by using the Directory Import command in the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program.
- Delete all system distribution lists in Digital ALL-IN-1 after directory synchronization occurs. If you delete them before the Microsoft Exchange Server distribution lists propagate to the Digital ALL-IN-1 directory, your users will be unable to send messages to the distribution lists.
Digital ALL-IN-1 users that have been added to the address list can use Microsoft Exchange Server distribution lists.
During migration, you might have to update the distribution lists as you delete custom recipients and replace them with mailboxes. If you have configured custom recipients to be replaced by mailboxes (as described in Chapter 2), you can avoid this extra task.