Migrating from Microsoft Mail for PC Networks
Before moving users from Microsoft Mail for PC Networks [MS Mail (PC)] to Microsoft Exchange Server, you need to know the following:
- Users running Microsoft Outlook with a Microsoft Windows operating system can use MS Mail (PC) postoffices.
- Microsoft Exchange Server users can send and receive mail through Microsoft Mail (PC) gateways.
- Directories can be synchronized during multiphase migration.
- Users in both the existing and the new system can view schedule information.
- All applications based on Common Messaging Calls (CMC) and Simple MAPI work with Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Both administrators and users can use migration tools to migrate messages in mailboxes, mail message files (MMFs), personal address book (PAB) entries, shared and private folders, and calendar data.
- Personal address lists (PAL) and template information are not migrated.
To perform the migration, you do the following:
- Determine what scenario best describes your current installation.
- Make decisions on issues that are relevant to your scenario.
- Familiarize yourself with the migration tools.
- Test your plan.
- Put your plan into action.