Subject: Rockwell Chips' manual ( LONG )

From: [email-masked] (THE JAGUAR)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 14:05:00 GMT

Hello All

     I post this because of some requests . Have a great time
reading it :-)

	Jaguar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AT Command Reference Manual

for RC32ACW, RC32ACL, and RC96V24AC Modem Families

(Preliminary) 

Rockwell International

Digital Communications Division

c 1993, Rockwell International  Order No. 883, Revision 1

All Rights Reserved     July 2, 1993

Printed in U.S.A.

NOTICE

Information furnished by Rockwell International Corporation is
believed to be accurate and reliable. However, no responsibility
is assumed by Rockwell International for its use, nor any
infringement of patents or other rights of third parties which
may result from its use. No license is granted by implication or
otherwise under any patent rights of Rockwell International
other than for circuitry embodied in Rockwell products. Rockwell
International reserves the right to change circuitry at any time
without notice. This document is subject to change without
notice.

ConfiguACE is a trademark of Rockwell International.

MNP is a registered trademark of Microcom, Inc. 

Hayes is a registered trademark of Hayes Microcomputer Products,
Inc.

PREFACE

This document is an update to the Advance Copy, dated November
10, 1992. Currently in the review process, this document has not
been approved for release by System Engineering.

This document is prepared in Microsoft Word 5.1 for Macintosh. 

This page is intentionally blank.Table of Contents

1.      INTRODUCTION    1-1

1.1.    OVERVIEW        1-1

1.1.1.  Command Syntax  1-1

1.1.2.  Command Descriptions    1-1

1.1.3.  Call Progress and Blacklisting Parameters       1-1

1.1.4.  ConfigurACE II  1-1

1.2.    REFERENCE DOCUMENTATION 1-1

2.      COMMAND SYNTAX  2-1

2.1.    DTE/DCE INTERCHANGE CIRCUITS    2-1

2.2.    COMMAND SYNTAX AND GUIDELINES   2-1

2.2.1.  DTE Commands    2-1

2.2.2.  DTE Command Lines       2-1

2.3.    AT COMMAND GUIDELINES   2-1

2.3.1.  Basic Command Syntax    2-1

2.3.2.  Extended Command Syntax 2-1

3.      AT COMMAND SET  3-1

3.1.    AT COMMAND GUIDELINES   3-1

3.1.1.  AT Commands, DTE Adaption       3-1

3.1.2.  AT Command Format       3-1

3.1.3.  Escape Code Sequence    3-1

3.2.    AT COMMAND SET  3-2

3.2.1.  AT Commands     3-2

A/ - Re-execute Command 3-2

AT= x - Write to Selected S-Register    3-2

AT? - Read Selected S-Register  3-2

A - Answer      3-2

Bn - CCITT or Bell      3-2

Cn - Carrier Control    3-3

Dn - Dial       3-3

En - Command Echo       3-4

Fn - Select Line Modulation     3-4

Hn - Disconnect (Hang-Up)       3-5

In - Identification     3-5

Ln - Speaker Volume     3-6

Mn - Speaker Control    3-6

Nn - Automode Enable    3-6

On - Return to On-Line Data Mode        3-6

P - Set Pulse Dial Default      3-7

Qn - Quiet Results Codes Control        3-7

Sn - Read/Write S-Register      3-7

T - Set Tone Dial Default       3-8

Vn - Result Code Form   3-8

Wn - Error Correction Message Control.  3-8

Xn - Extended Result Codes:     3-8

Yn - Long Space Disconnect      3-9

Zn - Soft Reset and Restore Profile     3-9

3.2.2.  AT& Commands    3-9

&Cn - RLSD (DCD) Option 3-9

&Dn - DTR Option        3-11

&F - Restore Factory Configuration (Profile)    3-11

&Gn - Select Guard Tone 3-11

&Jn - Telephone Jack Control    3-12

&Kn - Flow Control      3-12

&Ln - Leased Line Operation     3-12

&Mn - Asynchronous/Synchronous Mode Selection   3-12

&Pn - Select Pulse Dial Make/Break Ratio        3-13

&Qn - Sync/Async Mode   3-13

&Rn - RTS/CTS Option    3-14

&Sn - DSR Override      3-14

&Tn - Test and Diagnostics      3-14

&V - Display Current Configuration and Stored Profiles. 3-15

&Wn - Store Current Configuration       3-15

&Xn - Select Synchronous Clock Source   3-16

&Yn - Designate a Default Reset Profile 3-16

&Zn=x - Store telephone number  3-16

3.2.3.  AT% Commands    3-16

%En - Enable/Disable Line Quality Monitor and Auto-Retrain or 

Fallback/Fall Forward   3-16

%L - Line Signal Level  3-17

%Q - Line Signal Quality        3-17

%TTn - PTT Testing Utilities    3-17

3.2.4.  AT\ Commands    3-18

\Gn - Modem-to-Modem Flow Control (XON/XOFF)    3-18

\Kn - Break Control     3-18

\Nn - Operating Mode    3-19

3.3.    ERROR DETECTION AND DATA COMPRESSION COMMANDS   3-20

3.3.1.  AT% Commands    3-20

%C - Enable/Disable Data Compression    3-20

3.3.2.  AT\ Commands    3-20

\An - Select Maximum MNP Block Size     3-20

\Bn - Transmit Break to Remote  3-20

\Ln - MNP Block/Stream Mode Select      3-20

3.4.    MNP 10 COMMANDS 3-21

3.4.1.  AT) Commands    3-21

)Mn - Enable Cellular Power Level Adjustment    3-21

3.4.2.  AT- Commands    3-21

*Hn - Link Negotiation Speed    3-21

-Kn - MNP Extended Services     3-21

-Qn - Enable Fallback to V.22 bis/V.22  3-21

@Mn - Initial Cellular Power Level Setting      3-22

:E - Compromise Equalizer Enable Command        3-22

3.5.    W-CLASS COMMANDS        3-23

3.5.1.  AT% Commands    3-23

%Fn - Split-Speed Direction Select      3-23

%Mn - AUXCTL Output Line Control        3-23

3.5.2.  AT* Commands    3-24

*B - Display Blacklisted Numbers        3-24

*C - Remote Configuration Password      3-24

* D - Display Delayed Numbers   3-24

*E - Exit Remote Configuration Mode     3-24

*L - Display Secure Access (Callback) Directory.        3-25

*NCnn - Country Select  3-26

*P - Store Callback Password    3-27

*R - Request Remote Configuration Mode  3-27

*Zn - Change Dial Codes:        3-27

3.5.3.  AT\ Commands    3-28

\F - Display Telephone Directory        3-28

\S - Report Active Configuration        3-28

\Wn - Split-Speed Operation     3-28

3.6.    CALLER ID COMMANDS      3-29

3.6.1.  AT#CID Command  3-29

#CIDn - Caller ID       3-29

Inquiries       3-29

Formatted Form Reporting        3-29

Example of Formatted Form Reporting     3-30

Unformatted Form Reporting      3-30

Example of Unformatted Form Reporting   3-30

3.7.    AT COMMAND RESULT CODES 3-31

00- OK  3-31

01- CONNECT     3-31

02- RING        3-31

03- NO CARRIER  3-31

04- ERROR       3-31

05- CONNECT 1200        3-31

06- NO DIALTONE 3-31

07- BUSY        3-31

08- NO ANSWER   3-32

09- CONNECT 0600        3-32

10- CONNECT 2400        3-32

11- CONNECT 4800        3-32

12- CONNECT 9600        3-32

13- CONNECT 7200        3-32

14- CONNECT 12000       3-32

15- CONNECT 14400       3-32

16- CONNECT 19200       3-32

17- CONNECT 38400       3-32

18- CONNECT 57600       3-32

22- CONNECT 75TX/1200RX 3-32

23- CONNECT 1200TX/75RX 3-32

24- DELAYED     3-32

32- BLACKLISTED 3-33

-33 FAX 3-33

35- DATA        3-33

40- CARRIER 300 3-33

44- CARRIER 1200/75     3-33

45- CARRIER 75/1200     3-33

46- CARRIER 1200        3-33

47- CARRIER 2400        3-33

48- CARRIER 4800        3-33

49- CARRIER 7200        3-33

50- CARRIER 9600        3-33

51- CARRIER 12000       3-33

52- CARRIER 14400       3-33

66- COMPRESSION: CLASS 5        3-33

67- COMPRESSION: V.42 bis       3-33

69- COMPRESSION: NONE   3-34

76- PROTOCOL: NONE      3-34

77- PROTOCOL: LAPM      3-34

80- PROTOCOL: ALT       3-34

81- PROTOCOL: ALT-CELLULAR      3-34

+FC - FCERROR   3-34

4.      S REGISTERS     4-1

4.1.    FACTORY DEFAULTS        4-1

4.2.    S REGISTER DEFINITIONS  4-4

S0 - Number of Rings to Auto-Answer     4-4

S1 - Ring Counter       4-4

S2 - Escape Character   4-4

S3 - Carriage Return Character  4-4

S4 - Line Feed Character        4-4

S5 - Backspace Character        4-4

S6 - Wait Time for Dial Tone Before Blind Dialing, or After "W"
Dial Modifier

(W-Class Models)        4-5

S7 - Wait Time For Carrier After Dial, For Silence, or For Dial
Tone After "W" Dial Modifier (US Models)        4-5

S8 - Pause Time For Dial Delay  4-5

S9 - Carrier Detect Response Time       4-5

S10 - Lost Carrier To Hang Up Delay     4-5

S11 - DTMF Tone Duration        4-5

S12 - Escape Code Guard Time    4-6

S13 - Reserved  4-6

S14 - General Bit Mapped Options        4-6

S15 - Reserved  4-6

S16 - General Bit Mapped Test Options   4-6

S17 - Reserved  4-7

S18 - Test Timer        4-7

S19 - AutoSync Registers        4-7

S20 - AutoSync HDLC Address or BSC Sync Character       4-8

S21 - V.21/General Bit Mapped Options   4-8

S22 - Speaker/Results Bit Mapped Options        4-9

S23 - General Bit Mapped Options        4-10

S24 - Sleep Inactivity Timer    4-10

S25 - Delay To DTR      4-10

S26 - RTS to CTS Delay  4-10

S27 - Bit Mapped Option 4-11

S28 - Bit Mapped Options        4-12

S29 - Flash Dial Modifier Time  4-12

S30 - Disconnect Inactivity Timer       4-12

S31 - Bit Mapped Options        4-13

S32 - XON Character     4-13

S33 - XOFF Character    4-13

S34-S35 - Reserved      4-13

S36 - LAPM Failure Control (Applies to ECC Models Only) 4-13

S37 - Desired Line Connection Speed     4-14

S38 - Delay Before Forced Hang Up       4-14

S39 - Flow Control      4-14

S40 - General Bit Mapped Options        4-15

S41 - General Bit Mapped Options        4-16

S46 - Data Compression Control  4-16

S48 - V.42 Negotiation Action   4-16

S80 - Soft-Switch Functions     4-17

S82 - Break Handling Options    4-17

S86 - Call Failure Reason Code  4-18

S91 - PSTN Transmit Attenuation Level   4-18

S92 - Fax Transmit Attenuation Level    4-18

S95 - Extended Result Codes     4-19

S99 - Leased Line Transmit Level        4-19

S201 - Cellular Transmit Level  4-19

S202 - Remote Access Escape Character   4-19

5.      V.25 BIS COMMAND SET    5-1

5.1.    DTE/DCE INTERCHANGE CIRCUITS    5-1

5.2.    FORMATS FOR COMMANDS AND INDICATIONS    5-1

5.2.1.  Synchronous Signalling  5-1

HDLC Frames     5-1

BSC Frames      5-2

5.2.2.  Asynchronous Signalling 5-2

Command/Indication Exchange Protocol    5-2

DTE Adaption    5-2

5.2.3.  V.25 bis Escape Code Sequence   5-2

5.3.    STANDARD V.25 BIS COMMANDS      5-3

CIC - Connect Incoming Call     5-3

CRI - Call Request with Number and Identification       5-3

CRN - Call Request with Number  5-3

CRS - Call Request with Memory Address  5-4

DIC - Disregard Incoming Call   5-4

PRI - Program Identification    5-4

PRN - Program Number    5-4

RLD - List Request of Delayed Call Numbers      5-4

RLF - List Request of Forbidden Numbers 5-4

RLI - List Request of Identification Numbers    5-5

RLN - List Request of Stored Numbers (Dial Strings)     5-5

5.4.    EXTENDED V.25 BIS COMMANDS      5-5

CNL - Local Configuration       5-5

5.5.    STANDARD V.25 BIS INDICATIONS   5-6

CFI - Call Failure Indication   5-6

CNX - Connect   5-6

DLC - Delayed Call      5-6

INC - Incoming Call     5-6

INV - Invalid Command   5-6

VAL - Valid Command     5-6

6.      FAX CLASS 1 COMMANDS    6-1

6.1.    FAX I/O PROCESSING      6-1

6.1.1.  DTE-to-Modem Transmit Data Stream       6-1

6.1.2.  Modem-to-DTE Receive Data Stream        6-1

6.1.3.  Fax Mode Selection      6-1

6.1.4.  Fax Origination 6-1

6.1.5.  Fax Answering   6-2

6.1.6.  Fax Control Transmission        6-2

6.1.7.  Fax Control Reception   6-2

6.1.8.  Fax Data Transmission   6-3

6.1.9.  Fax Data Reception      6-3

6.2.    COMMANDS        6-4

+FCLASS=n - Select Service Class        6-4

+F<command>? - Report Active Configuration      6-4

+F<command>=? - Report Operating Capabilities   6-4

+FAE=n - Data/Fax Auto Answer   6-4

+FTS=n - Stop Transmission and Wait     6-4

+FRS=n - Receive Silence        6-4

+FTM=n - Transmit Data  6-5

+FRM=n - Receive Data   6-5

+FTH=n - Transmit Data with HDLC Framing        6-6

+FRH=n - Receive Data with HDLC Framing 6-6

6.3.    EXAMPLES        6-6

7.      FAX CLASS 2 COMMANDS    7-1

7.1.    COMMAND SYNTAX AND GUIDELINES   7-1

7.1.1.  DTE Commands    7-1

DTE Command Lines       7-1

Basic Command Syntax    7-1

Extended Command Syntax 7-1

7.1.2.  Serial Port Speed and Flow Control      7-3

Data Stream Termination 7-3

DTE to DCE Streams      7-3

DCE to DTE Streams      7-3

7.1.3.  Auto Answer     7-3

7.1.4.  Identification of T.30 Options  7-3

7.1.5.  Session Status Reporting        7-4

7.1.6.  Procedure Interrupt Negotiation 7-4

7.2.    SERVICE CLASS 2 IDENTIFICATION AND SELECTION    7-4

7.2.1.  +FMFR?, Request Manufacturer Identification     7-4

7.2.2.  +FMDL?, Identify Product Model  7-4

7.2.3.  +FREV?, Identify Product Revision       7-4

7.3.    SERVICE CLASS 2 ACTION COMMANDS 7-4

7.3.1.  ATD, Originate a Call   7-5

7.3.2.  ATA, Answer a Call      7-5

Manual Call Answer      7-5

Automatic Answer        7-5

Connection as a Data Modem      7-5

7.3.3.  +FDT, Data Transmission 7-6

Initiate Page Transmission      7-6

Continue a Page 7-6

Phase C Data Framing    7-6

Phase C Data Format     7-6

<CAN>, Escape from Transmission 7-6

7.3.4.  +FET, Transmit Page Punctuation 7-8

End a Page      7-8

7.3.5.  +FDR, Begin or Continue Phase C Receive Data    7-9

Initiate Document Reception     7-9

Continue Document Reception     7-9

Phase C Data Framing    7-10

Phase C Data Format     7-10

<CAN>, Escape from Reception    7-10

7.3.6.  +FK, Session Termination        7-10

7.4.    SERVICE CLASS 2 DCE RESPONSES   7-12

7.4.1.  +FCON, Facsimile Connection Response    7-12

7.4.2.  +FDCS:, Report Current Session Capabilities     7-12

7.4.3.  +FDIS:, Report Remote Station Capabilities      7-12

7.4.4.  +FCFR, Indicate Confirmation to Receive 7-12

7.4.5.  +FTSI:, Report the Transmit Station ID  7-12

7.4.6.  +FCSI:, Report the Called Station ID    7-12

7.4.7.  +FPTS:, Receive Page Transfer Status    7-12

7.4.8.  +FET:, Post Page Message Response       7-13

7.4.9.  +FPTS:, Transmit Page Transfer Status   7-13

7.4.10. +FHNG:, Call Termination with Status    7-13

7.5.    SERVICE CLASS 2 PARAMETERS      7-14

7.5.1.  +FDCC, DCE Capabilities Parameters      7-14

7.5.2.  +FDIS, Current Sessions Capabilities Parameters 7-14

7.5.3.  +FDCS, Current Session Results Parameters       7-15

7.5.4.  +FLID=, Local ID String 7-16

7.5.5.  +FCR, Capability to Receive     7-16

7.5.6.  +FPTS=, Page Transfer Status    7-16

7.5.7.  +FCQ, Copy Quality Checking     7-16

7.5.8.  +FPHCTO, DTE Phase C Response Time-out  7-16

7.5.9.  +FAXERR, T.30 Session Error Report      7-17

7.5.10. +FBOR, Data Bit Order   7-17

7.5.11. +FAA, Answer Parameter  7-17

7.5.12. +FBUF?, Buffer Size     7-18

7.6.    EXAMPLE SESSIONS        7-18

8.      VOICE COMMANDS  8-1

8.1.    VOICE SUBMODES  8-1

8.1.1.  Online Voice Command Mode       8-1

8.1.2.  Voice Receive Mode      8-1

8.1.3.  Voice Transmit Mode     8-1

8.2.    VOICE CAPABILITIES      8-1

8.2.1.  Call Establishment - Originate  8-1

Directed Originate (Dial as a specific modem type)      8-1

Adaptive Originate (Dial with Voice/Data/Fax Discrimination)    8-2

8.2.2.  Call Establishment - Answer     8-2

Directed Answer (Answer as a specific modem type)       8-2

Adaptive Answer (Answer with Voice/Data/Fax Discrimination)     8-2

8.2.3.  Voice Data Transfer     8-3

8.2.4.  Tone and Status Monitoring- Shielded <DLE> Statuses     8-3

8.2.5.  Shielded <DLE> Commands from the DTE    8-5

8.2.6.  Voice Record    8-5

8.2.7.  Voice Playback  8-6

8.2.8.  Voice Call Termination  8-6

Local Disconnect        8-6

Remote Disconnect Detection     8-6

8.2.9.  Mode Switching  8-7

Voice to Fax    8-7

Unsuccessful Fax Connection Attempt to Voice    8-7

Voice to Data   8-7

Unsuccessful Data Connection Attempt to Voice   8-7

8.2.10. Caller ID       8-7

8.3.    AT VOICE COMMAND SUMMARY        8-7

8.3.1.  Global AT Command Set Extensions        8-7

ATA - Answering in Voice        8-7

ATD - Dial Command in Voice     8-8

ATH - Hang Up in Voice  8-8

ATZ - Reset from Voice Mode     8-9

#BDR - Select Baud Rate (Turn off Autobaud)     8-9

#CID - Enable Caller ID Detection and Select Reporting
Format  8-10

#CLS - Select Data, Fax, or Voice       8-10

#MDL? - Identify Model  8-11

#MFR? - Identify Manufacturer   8-11

#REV? - Identify Revision Level 8-11

1.      INTRODUCTION

1.1.    OVERVIEW

This manual describes the AT commands for the following Rockwell
modem families:

	RC96V24AC and RC14V24AC

	RC96ACW and RC144ACW

	RC96ACL/RC144ACL and RC96ACi/RC144ACi

The descriptions apply to all these modems with any differences
between modem product families noted.

1.1.1.  Command Syntax

The fundamental DTE interface command syntax is described in
Section 2.

1.1.2.  Command Descriptions

These commands are grouped into the following categories:

	AT commands     Section 3

	S Registers     Section 4

	V.25 commands   Section 5

	Fax Class 1 commands    Section 6

	Fax Class 2 commands    Section 7

	Voice commands  Section 8

The AT commands are implemented in microcontroller (MCU)
firmware for specific modem models. The support for a command
category is identified by modem model in the modem designer's
guide. Additional configuration and implementation information
is available in release notes and/or readme files that accompany
MCU firmware release.

1.1.3.  Call Progress and Blacklisting Parameters

The modem MCU firmware may be provided either in reconfigurable
form or preconfigured form. Consult the specific firmware
release notes for exact configuration information.

Reconfigurable Form. The modem MCU firmware can configured for
operation in specific countries by the PC-compatible ConfigurACE
II program. The call progress and blacklisting parameters
described the ConfigurACE II User's Manual can be altered and
loaded for a number of countries by this program. Serial or
parallel interface operation may also be selectable.

Preconfigured Form. Specific MCU firmware configurations may be
released that can be directly installed without requiring the
use of ConfigurACE II.

1.1.4.  ConfigurACE II

The ConfigurACE II User's Manual describes the use of
ConfigurACE II and the country modifiable parameters. Consult
any readme files accompanying the ConfigurACE II program for
additional or later information.

1.2.    REFERENCE DOCUMENTATION

	Order No.       Description

	872     RC96ACW and RC144ACW Modem Designer's Guide

	876     RC96ACL/RC144ACL and RC96ACi/RC144ACi Modem Family
Designer's Guide

	877     RC96V24AC Voice Modem Family Designer's Guide

	893     ConfigurACE II User's Manual

This page is intentionally blank.

2.     COMMAND SYNTAX

2.1.    DTE/DCE INTERCHANGE CIRCUITS

Communication between the DTE and modem is half duplex (i.e.,
only one entity 'talks' at a time).

2.2.    COMMAND SYNTAX AND GUIDELINES

2.2.1.  DTE Commands

The ISO 646 character set (CCITT T.50 International Alphabet 5,
American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is used for
the issuance of commands and responses. Only the low-order 7
bits of each character are used for commands or parameters; the
high-order bit is ignored. Upper case characters are equivalent
to lower case characters.

2.2.2.  DTE Command Lines

A command line is a string of characters sent from a DTE to the
DCE while the DCE is in a command state. Command lines have a
prefix, a body, and a terminator. The prefix consists of the
ASCII characters "AT" (065, 084) or "at" (097, 116). The body is
a string of commands restricted to printable ASCII characters
(032 - 126). Control characters other than CR (ASCII 013) and BS
(ASCII 010) in the command string are ignored. The default
terminator is the ASCII <CR> character. Characters that precede
the AT prefix are ignored.

2.3.    AT COMMAND GUIDELINES

Modem operation is controlled by generic AT commands. These AT
commands may be basic AT (i.e., commands preceded by AT, AT&,
AT%, AT*, AT\, AT), AT-, or AT#), S register (e.g., S6=n), V.25
(e.g., CIC) , Fax class 1 (e.g., +FTM), Fax class 2 (e.g.,
+FDCS:), or voice (e.g., #VBS) commands. The command syntax and
operation guidelines governing each of these command categories
are described in subsequent sections.

2.3.1.  Basic Command Syntax

Characters within the command line are parsed as commands with
associated parameter values. The basic commands consist of
single ASCII characters, or single characters preceded by a
prefix character (e.g., "&"), followed by a decimal parameter.

Missing decimal parameters are evaluated as 0. 

2.3.2.  Extended Command Syntax

The facsimile commands use extended syntax. They are preceded by
the "+F" characters, and they are terminated by the semicolon
":" character (ASCII 059) or by the <CR> that terminates the
command line.

This page is intentionally blank.

3.     AT COMMAND SET

3.1.    AT COMMAND GUIDELINES

The basic AT commands used to control modem operation are
defined in this section. These commands are summarized in
Appendix A. All these commands may not be available in a
specific product depending upon supported data rates and modes
(data/fax/voice, error correction, data compression, and data
throughput enhancement). The default values are typical of a
fully configured modem supporting all data rates, modes, and
options. The actual default value is dependent upon modem
firmware as defined by the firmware release notes. 

3.1.1.  AT Commands, DTE Adaption

Under AT operation, the serial interfaced modem performs an
autobaud/autoparity/autolength function on each AT header
entered. The autolength/autoparity facility can detect 7- or
8-bit characters of even, odd, or no parity with one stop bit.
This is not necessary for the parallel interfaced modem since it
has direct access to the UART registers.

3.1.2.  AT Command Format

Under the AT command set (with the exception of the A/ command),
each command line sent by the DTE must begin with the character
sequence AT and must be terminated by a carriage return.
Commands entered in upper case or lower case are accepted, but
both the A and T must be of the same case. The command line
interpretation begins upon receipt of the carriage return
character.

The modem supports the editing of command lines by recognizing a
backspace character. When modem echo is enabled, the modem
responds to receipt of a backspace or delete by echoing a
backspace character, a space character, and another backspace.
The hex value to be used for the backspace character is
programmable through register S5. Values equal to 0 or greater
than 127, or the value which corresponds to the carriage return
character, cannot be used for the backspace character. This
editing is not applicable to the AT header of a command. A
command line may be aborted at any time by entering < cntrl-x >
(18h).

The AT sequence may be followed by any number of commands in
sequence, except for commands such as Z, D, or A. Commands
following commands Z, D, or A on the same command line will be
ignored. The maximum number of characters on any command line is
256 (including "A" and "T"). If a syntax error is found anywhere
in a command line command, the remainder of the line will be
ignored and the ERROR result code will be returned.

Most commands entered with parameters out of range will not be
accepted and the ERROR response will be returned to the DTE.

Commands will only be accepted by the modem once the previous
command has been fully executed, which is normally indicated by
the return of an appropriate result code. Execution of commands
D and A, either as a result of a direct command or a re-execute
command, will be aborted if another character is entered before
completion of the handshake.

3.1.3.  Escape Code Sequence

When the modem has established a connection and has entered
on-line data mode, it is possible to break into the data
transmission in order to issue further commands to the modem in
an on-line command mode. This is achieved by the DTE sending to
the modem a sequence of three ASCII characters specified by
register S2. The default character is '+'. The timing of the
three characters must comply with specific time constraints.
There is a guard time before the first character (the
pre-sequence time), a guard time following the third character
(the post-sequence time), and a guard time-out between the first
and second characters and between the second and third
characters (the inter-character time). These times are
controlled by the value recorded in register S12.

3.2.   AT COMMAND SET

The modem will respond to the commands detailed below.
Parameters applicable to each command are listed with the
command description. The defaults shown for each configuration
command are those used in the Rockwell factory profile 0.

3.2.1.  AT Commands

A/ - Re-execute Command

The modem behaves as though the last command line had been
re-sent by the DTE. "A/" will repeat all the commands in the
command buffer.

The principle application of this command is to place another
call (using the Dial command) that failed to connect due to a
busy line, no answer, or a wrong number. This command must
appear alone on a command line and must be terminated by the "/"
character. This command should not be terminated by a carriage
return.

AT= x - Write to Selected S-Register

This command writes the value x to the currently selected
S-register. An S-register can be selected by using the ATSn
command. All of the S-registers will return the OK response if x
is a number. Some registers may not be written due to country
specific PTT limitations.

Result Codes

OK      For all arguments.

AT? - Read Selected S-Register

This command reads and displays the selected S-register. An
S-register can be selected by using the ATSn command.

Result Codes:

OK      For all arguments.

A - Answer

The modem will go off-hook and attempt to answer an incoming
call if correct conditions are met. Upon successful completion
of answer handshake, the modem will go on-line in answer mode.
This command may be affected by the state of Line Current Sense,
if enabled. (Most countries do not require Line Current Sense.)
Operation is also dependent upon +FCLASS command and
country-specific requirements.

If +FCLASS=0 is selected, the modem will enter the connect state
after exchanging carrier with the remote modem. If no carrier is
detected within a period specified in register S7, the modem
hangs up. Any character entered during the connect sequence will
abort the connection attempt.

If +FCLASS=1 or 2 is selected, the modem will go off-hook in
V.21 answer mode. It will generate the V.21 2100 Hz answer tone
for 3 ñ 0.5 seconds and, following a delay of 70 ms, will
proceed as if the +FTH=3 command were issued. At any stage up to
(but excluding) the +FTH=3 command state, any character will
abort the communication. (See the description of the +FTH
command for details.)

Bn - CCITT or Bell

When the modem is configured to allow either option, the modem
will select Bell or CCITT modulation for a line speed connection
of 300 or 1200 bps according to the parameter supplied. Any
other line speed will use a CCITT modulation standard. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S27 bit 6. (Also, see
ATFn command.)

B0      Selects CCITT operation at 300 or 1200 bps during Call
Establishment and a subsequent connection. (Default for W-class
models.)

B1      Selects BELL operation at 300 or 1200 bps during Call
Establishment and a subsequent connection. (Default for US
models.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Cn - Carrier Control

This command is included for compatibility only, and has no
effect other than returning a result code. The only valid
parameter is 1.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Dn - Dial

This command directs the modem to go on-line, dial according to
the string entered and attempt to establish a connection. If no
dial string is supplied, the modem will go on-line and attempt
the handshake in originate mode. In W-class models, the action
of going off-hook is affected by the status of the Line Current
Sense input, if line current sensing is enabled, and by the
blacklist and delayed list. NOTE: If the ATD command is issued
before the S1 register has cleared, the modem will respond with
the NO CONNECT result code.

If +FCLASS=0 is selected, the modem will behave as a data modem
and will attempt to connect to another data modem. The modem
will have up to the period of time specified by register S6 or
S7 to wait for carrier and complete the handshake. If this time
expires before the modem can complete the handshake, the modem
will go on-hook with the NO CARRIER response. This command will
be aborted in progress upon receipt of any DTE character before
completion of the handshake.

If +FCLASS=1 or 2 is selected, the modem will behave as a
facsimile modem and attempt to connect to a facsimile machine
(or modem) by entering the HDLC V.21 channel 2 receive state (as
if +FRH=3 had been issued). This command will be aborted upon
receipt of any DTE character if the modem has not finished
dialing. In this case, the modem will go on-hook and return to
command mode after displaying the NO CARRIER message. If the
modem has finished dialing, it proceeds as if the +FRH=3 command
has been issued. (Refer to the +FRH command to determine how the
modem behaves following this stage.)

Dial Modifiers. The valid dial string parameters are described
below. Punctuation characters may be used for clarity, with
parentheses, hyphen, and spaces being ignored.

0-9     DTMF digits 0 to 9.

*       The 'star' digit (tone dialling only).

#       The 'gate' digit (tone dialling only).

A-D     DTMF digits A, B, C, and D. Some countries may prohibit
sending of these digits during dialing.

J       Perform MNP 10 link negotiation at the highest supported speed
(for this call only). (See *H.)

K       Enable power level adjustment during MNP 10 link negotiation
(for this call only). (See )Mn.)

L       Re-dial last number: the modem will re-dial the last valid
telephone number. The L must be immediately after the D with all
the following characters ignored).

P       Select pulse dialling: pulse dial the numbers that follow
until a "T" is encountered. Affects current and subsequent
dialling. Some countries prevent changing dialling modes after
the first digit is dialled.

T       Select tone dialling: tone dial the numbers that follow until
a "P" is encountered. Affects current and subsequent dialling.
Some countries prevent changing dialling modes after the first
digit is dialled.

R       This command will be accepted, but not acted on.

S=n     Dial the number stored in the directory (n = 0 to 19). (See
&Z.)

!       Flash: the modem will go on-hook for a time defined by the
value of S29. Country requirements may limit the time imposed.

W       Wait for dial tone: the modem will wait for dial tone before
dialling the digits following "W". If no dial tone is detected
within the time specified by S7 (US models) or S6 (W-class
models), the modem will abort the rest of the sequence, return
on-hook, and generate an error message.

@       Wait for silence: the modem will wait for at least 5 seconds
of silence in the call progress frequency band before continuing
with the next dial string parameter. If the modem does not
detect these 5 seconds of silence before the expiration of the
call abort timer (S7), the modem will terminate the call attempt
with a NO ANSWER message. If busy detection is enabled, the
modem may terminate the call with the BUSY result code. If
answer tone arrives during execution of this parameter, the
modem handshakes.

,       Dial pause: the modem will pause for a time specified by S8
before dialling the digits following ",".

;       Return to command state. Added to the end of a dial string,
this causes the modem to return to the command state after it
processes the portion of the dial string preceding the ";". This
allows the user to issue additional AT commands while remaining
off-hook. The additional AT commands may be placed in the
original command line following the ";" and/or may be entered on
subsequent command lines. The modem will enter call progress
only after an additional dial command is issued without the ";"
terminator. Use "H" to abort the dial in progress, and go back
on-hook.

^       Disable calling tone: applicable to current dial attempt only.

( )     Ignored: may be used to format the dial string.

-       Ignored: may be used to format the dial string.

<space> Ignored: may be used to format the dial string.

<i>     Invalid character: will be ignored.

>       If enabled by country specific parameter, the modem will
generate a grounding pulse on the EARTH relay output.

En - Command Echo

The modem enables or disables the echo of characters to the DTE
according to the parameter supplied. The parameter value, if
valid, is written to S14 bit 1.

E0      Disables command echo.

E1      Enables command echo. (Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Fn - Select Line Modulation

This command selects the line modulation according to the
parameter supplied. The line modulation is fixed unless automode
is selected. This command interacts with the S37 and the N
command. The parameter value, if valid, is written to S31 bit 1.
To select line modulation, it is recommended that either the F
command, or a combination of the S37 and the N command, be used,
but not both. 

F0      Selects auto-detect mode . Sets N1 and sets S31 bit 1. In
this mode, the modem configures for automode operation. All
connect speeds supported by the modem are possible according to
the remote modem's preference. The contents of S37 are ignored
as is the sensed DTE speed.

F1      Selects V.21 or Bell 103 according to the B setting as the
only acceptable line speed resulting in a subsequent connection.
Sets N0, sets S37 to 1, and clears S31 bit 1. This command is
equivalent to the command string: ATN0S37=1.

F2      Not supported. (Other Rockwell products use this setting for
600 bps.)

F3      Selects V.23 as the only acceptable line modulation for a
subsequent connection. Originator is at 75 bps and answerer is
at 1200 bps. Sets N0, sets S37 to 7, and clears S31 bit 1. This
command is equivalent to the command string: ATN0S37=7.

F4      Selects V.22 1200 or Bell 212A according to the B command
setting as the only acceptable line speed for a subsequent
connection. Sets N0, sets S37 to 5, and clears S31 bit 1. This
command is equivalent to the command string: ATN0S37=5.

F5      Selects V.22 bis as the only acceptable line modulation for a
subsequent connection. Sets N0, sets S37 to 6, and clears S31
bit 1. This command is equivalent to the command string:
ATN0S37=6.

F6     Select V.32 bis 4800 or V.32 4800 as the only acceptable line
modulation for a subsequent connection. Sets N0, sets S37 to 8,
and clears S31 bit 1. This command is equivalent to the command
string: ATN0S37=8.

F7      Selects V.32 bis 7200 as the only acceptable line modulation
for a subsequent connection. Sets N0, sets S37 to 12, and clears
S31 bit 1. This command is equivalent to the command string:
ATN0S37=12.

	This setting also allows connection at the Rockwell proprietary
7200 V.32 speed, e.g., with a RC9696/12 based modem.

F8      Selects V.32 bis 9600 or V.32 9600 as the only acceptable
line modulations for a subsequent connection. Sets N0, sets S37
to 9, and clears S31 bit 1. This command is equivalent to the
command string: ATN0S37=9.

F9      Selects V.32 bis 12000 as the only acceptable line modulation
for a subsequent connection. Sets N0, sets S37 to 10, and clears
S31 bit 1. This command is equivalent to the command string:
ATN0S37=10.

	This setting also allows connection at the Rockwell proprietary
12000 V.32 speed, e.g., with a RC9696/12 based modem.

F10     Selects V.32 bis 14400 as the only acceptable line
modulation for a subsequent connection. Sets N0, sets S37 to 11,
and clears S31 bit 1. This command is equivalent to the command
string: ATN0S37=11.

Hn - Disconnect (Hang-Up)

This command initiates a hang up sequence.

This command may not be available for some countries due to PTT
restrictions.

H0      The modem will release the line if the modem is currently
on-line, and will terminate any test (AT&T) that is in progress.
Country specific, modulation specific, and error correction
protocol specific (S38) processing is handled outside of the H0
command.

H1      If on-hook, the modem will go off-hook and enter command
mode. The modem will return on-hook after a period of time
determined by S7.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

In - Identification

The modem reports to the DTE the requested result according to
the command parameter.

I0      Reports product code (e.g., "14400").

I1      Reports pre-computed checksum from ROM (e.g., "007").

I2      Computes checksum and compares it with value stored in ROM.
Reports result as OK or ERROR.

I3      Reports firmware revision (VX.XXX)-model code (A = 64K US, B
= Reserved, C = 128K US, D = 128K W-Class, E = 64K W-Class),
interface type (S = serial; P = parallel) , and MCU model (29 =
C29; 39 = C39) (e.g., "V1.297-CS29").

I4      Reports OEM defined identifier string (e.g., "RC96ACL") in
either Hayes-compatible binary format (default) or ASCII format
(selectable by ConfigureACE). 

I5      Reports Country Code parameter (e.g., "022").

I6      Reports modem data pump model and internal code revision
(e.g, RC144DPL Rev CE).

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 6.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Ln - Speaker Volume

The modem sets the speaker volume control according to the
parameter supplied. The parameter value, if valid, is written to
S22 bits 0 and 1.

L0      Low volume.

L1      Low volume. (Default.)

L2      Medium volume.

L3      High volume.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 3.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Mn - Speaker Control

This command selects when the speaker will be on or off. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S22 bits 2 and 3.

M0      Speaker is always off.

M1      Speaker is on during call establishment, but off when
receiving carrier. (Default.)

M2      Speaker is always on.

M3      Speaker is off when receiving carrier and during dialling,
but on during answering.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 3.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Nn - Automode Enable

This command enables or disables automode detection. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S31 bit 1.

N0      Automode detection is disabled. A subsequent handshake will
be conducted according to the contents of S37 or, if S37 is
zero, according to the most recently sensed DTE speed.

N1      Automode detection is enabled. A subsequent handshake will be
conducted according to the automode algorithm supported by the
modem. This command is equivalent to F0. (Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

On - Return to On-Line Data Mode

This command determines how the modem will enter the on-line
data mode. If the modem is in the on-line command mode, the
enters the on-line data mode with or without a retrain. If the
modem is in the off-line command mode (no connection), ERROR is
reported.

O0      Enters on-line data mode without a retrain. Handling is
determined by the Call Establishment task. Generally, if a
connection exists, this command connects the DTE back to the
remote modem after an escape (+++).

O1      Enters on-line data mode with a retrain before returning to
on-line data mode.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1 and a connection exists.

ERROR   Otherwise or if not connected.

P - Set Pulse Dial Default

This command forces pulse dialing until the next T dial modifier
or T command is received. Sets S14 bit 5.

As soon as a dial command is executed which explicitly specifies
the dialling mode for that particular call (e.g., ATDT...), this
command is overridden so that all future dialling will be tone
dialled. (See T command.)

This command may not be permitted in some countries.

Result Code:

OK

Qn - Quiet Results Codes Control

The command enables or disables the sending of result codes to
the DTE according to the parameter supplied. The parameter
value, if valid, is written to S14.

Q0      Enables result codes to the DTE. (Default.)

Q1      Disables result codes to the DTE.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Sn - Read/Write S-Register

The modem selects an S-register, performs an S-register read or
write function, or reports the value of an S-register.

n       Establishes S-register n as the default register.

n=v     Sets S-register n to the value v.

n?      Reports the value of S-register n.

The parameter n can be omitted, in which case S0 will be
assumed. The S can be omitted in which case the last s-register
accessed (default register) will be assumed.

For example:

	ATS7 establishes S7 as the default register.

	ATS38 establishes S38 as the default register.

	AT=40 sets the contents of the default register to 40.

	ATS=20 sets the contents of S0 to 20.

If the number "n" is beyond the range of the S-registers
available, the modem will return the ERROR message. The value
"v" is "MOD"ed with 256. If the result is outside the range
permitted for a given S-register the values will still be
stored, but functionally the lower and higher limits will be
observed. Input and output are always in decimal format. Note
that some S-registers are read-only.

In some cases, writing to the S register will appear to be
accepted but the value will not actually be written.

Due to country restrictions, some commands will be accepted, but
the value may be limited and replaced by a maximum or minimum
value.

Minimum, maximum, and default values for S-registers may be
altered with ConfigurACE.

T - Set Tone Dial Default

This command forces DTMF dialing until the next P dial modifier
or P command is received. The modem will set an S register bit
to indicate that all subsequent dialling should be conducted in
tone mode. Note that the DP command will override this command.
Clears S14 bit 5.

This command may not permitted in some countries. (See P.)

Result Code:

OK

Vn - Result Code Form

This command selects the sending of short-form or long-form
result codes to the DTE. The parameter, if valid, is written to
S14 bit 3.

V0      Enables short-form (terse) result codes. Line feed is not
issued before a short-form result code.

V1      Enables long-form (verbose) result codes. (Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Wn - Error Correction Message Control.

This command controls the format of CONNECT messages. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S31 bits 2 and 3.
(Also, see S95 description.)

W0      Upon connection, the modem reports only the DTE speed (e.g.,
CONNECT 9600). Subsequent responses are disabled. (Default.)

W1      Upon connection, the modem reports the line speed, the error
correction protocol, and the DTE speed, respectively. Subsequent
responses are disabled.

W2      Upon connection, the modem reports the DCE speed (e.g.,
CONNECT 2400). Subsequent responses are disabled.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0, 1, or 2.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Xn - Extended Result Codes:

This command selects which subset of the result messages will be
used by the modem to inform the DTE of the results of commands.

Blind dialling is enabled or disabled by country parameters. If
the user wishes to enforce dial tone detection, a "W" can be
placed in the dial string (see D command). Note that the
information below is based upon the default implementation of
the X results table. Table 3-1 indicates the messages which are
enabled for each X value.

If the modem is in facsimile mode (+FCLASS=1 or 2), the only
message sent to indicate a connection is CONNECT without a speed
indication.

X0      Disables monitoring of busy tones unless forced otherwise by
country requirements; send only OK, CONNECT, RING, NO CARRIER,
ERROR, and NO ANSWER result codes. Blind dialling
enabled/disabled by country parameters. If busy tone detection
is enforced and busy tone is detected, NO CARRIER will be
reported. If dial tone detection is enforced or selected and
dial tone is not detected, NO CARRIER will be reported instead
of NO DIAL TONE. The value 000b is written to S22 bits 6, 5, and
4, respectively.

X1      Disables monitoring of busy tones unless forced otherwise by
country requirements; send only OK, CONNECT, RING, NO CARRIER,
ERROR, NO ANSWER, and CONNECT XXXX (XXXX = rate). Blind dialling
enabled/disabled by country parameters. If busy tone detection
is enforced and busy tone is detected, NO CARRIER will be
reported instead of BUSY. If dial tone detection is enforced or
selected and dial tone is not detected, NO CARRIER will be
reported instead of NO DIAL TONE. The value 100b is written to
S22 bits 6, 5, and 4, respectively.

X2      Disables monitoring of busy tones unless forced otherwise by
country requirements; send only OK, CONNECT, RING, NO CARRIER,
ERROR, NO DIALTONE, NO ANSWER, and CONNECT XXXX. If busy tone
detection is enforced and busy tone is detected, NO CARRIER will
be reported instead of BUSY. If dial tone detection is enforced
or selected and dial tone is not detected, NO DIAL TONE will be
reported instead of NO CARRIER . The value 101b is written to
S22 bits 6, 5, and 4, respectively.

X3      Enables monitoring of busy tones; send only OK, CONNECT,
RING, NO CARRIER, ERROR, NO ANSWER, and CONNECT XXXX. Blind
dialling enabled/disabled by country parameters. If dial tone
detection is enforced and dial tone is not detected, NO CARRIER
will be reported. The value 110b is written to S22 bits 6, 5,
and 4, respectively.

X4      Enables monitoring of busy tones; send all messages. The
value 111b is written to S22 bits 6, 5, and 4, respectively.
(Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 4.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Yn - Long Space Disconnect

This command enables/disables the generation and response to
long space disconnect. The parameter value, if valid, is written
to S21 bit 7.

Y0      Disables long space disconnect. (default.)

Y1      Enables long space disconnect. In non-error correction mode,
the modem will send a long space of four seconds prior to going
on-hook. In error correction mode, the modem will respond to the
receipt of a long space (i.e., a break signal greater than 1.6
seconds) by going on-hook.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Zn - Soft Reset and Restore Profile

The modem performs a soft reset and restores (recalls) the
configuration profile according to the parameter supplied. If no
parameter is specified, zero is assumed.

Z0      Soft reset and restore stored profile 0.

Z1      Soft reset and restore stored profile 1.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.2.2.  AT& Commands

&Cn - RLSD (DCD) Option

The modem controls the RLSD output in accordance with the
parameter supplied. The parameter value, if valid, is written to
S21 bit 5.

&C0     RLSD remains ON at all times. (Default.)

&C1     RLSD follows the state of the carrier.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Table 3-1.  Result Codes

Short FormLong Form n Value in ATXn Command012340OKxxx x x
1CONNECTxx x xx2RING xx x xx3NO CARRIER xx x xx4ERRORxx x
xx5CONNECT 1200 1xxxx6NO DIALTONE 33 x x x7BUSY 333xx8NO ANSWER
x xx xx9CONNECT 0600 1 xxxx10CONNECT 2400 1xxxx11CONNECT
48001xxxx12CONNECT 96001xxxx13CONNECT 72001xxxx14CONNECT
120001xxxx15CONNECT 144001xxxx16CONNECT 192001xxxx17CONNECT
384001xxxx18CONNECT 576001xxxx22CONNECT
1200TX/75RX1xxxx23CONNECT
75TX/1200RX1xxxx24DELAYED4444x32BLACKLISTED4444x40CARRIER
300x44CARRIER 1200/75x45CARRIER 75/1200x46CARRIER 1200x47CARRIER
2400x48CARRIER 4800x49CARRIER 7200x50CARRIER 9600x51CARRIER
12000x52CARRIER 14400x66COMPRESSION: CLASS 5x67COMPRESSION: V.42
bisx69COMPRESSION: NONEx76PROTOCOL: NONEx77PROTOCOL:
LAPMx80PROTOCOL: ALTx81PROTOCOL: ALT-CELLULARx33FAXxxx
xx+F4+FCERRORxxx xx35DATAxxx xxNote: An 'X' in a column
indicates that the message (either the long form if verbose, or
the value only for short form) will be generated when that
particular value of 'n' (shown at the top of the column) has
been selected by the use of ATXn. If the column is blank, then
no message will be generated for that X option. A numeral
indicates which less explicit message (verbose or short form)
will be output for that X option. (Also, see Section 3.3).

&Dn - DTR Option

This command interprets the ON to OFF transition of the DTR
signal from the DTE in accordance with the parameter supplied.
The parameter value, if valid, is written to S21 bits 3 and 4.

&D0 -   DTR drop is interpreted according to the current &Q
setting as follows: (Default.)

&Q0, &Q5, &Q6   DTR is ignored (assumed ON). Allows operation with
DTEs which don't provide DTR.

&Q1, &Q4        DTR drop causes the modem to hang up. Auto-answer is
not affected.

&Q2, &Q3        DTR drop causes the modem to hang up. Auto-answer is
inhibited.

&D1     DTR drop is interpreted according to the current &Q setting
as follows:

&Q0, &Q1, &Q4, &Q5, &Q6 DTR drop is interpreted by the modem as
if the asynchronous escape sequence had been entered. The modem
returns to asynchronous command state without disconnecting.

&Q2, &Q3        DTR drop causes the modem to hang up. Auto-answer is
inhibited.

&D2     DTR drop is interpreted according to the current &Q setting
as follows:

&Q0 through &Q6 DTR drop causes the modem to hang up.
Auto-answer is inhibited.

&D3     DTR drop is interpreted according to the current &Q setting
as follows:

&Q0, &Q1, &Q4, &Q5, &Q6 DTR drop causes the modem to perform a
soft reset as if the Z command were received. The &Y setting
determines which profile is loaded.

&Q2, &Q3        DTR drop causes the modem to hang up. Auto-answer is
inhibited.

If &Q5, &Q6, +FCLASS=1 or +FCLASS=2 is in effect, the action
taken is the same as for &Q0.

&F - Restore Factory Configuration (Profile)

The modem loads the factory default configuration profile. The
factory defaults are identified for each command and in the S
register descriptions. A configuration profile consists of a
subset of S-registers.

&F      Restore Factory Configuration

Result Codes:

OK      

ERROR   If the modem is connected.

&Gn - Select Guard Tone

The modem generates the guard tone selected by this command
according to the parameter supplied (DPSK modulation modes
only). The parameter value, if valid, is written to S23 bits 6
and 7.

&G0     Disables guard tone. (Default for US models.)

&G1     Disables guard tone.

&G2     Selects 1800 Hz guard tone. (Default for W-class models.)

This command may not be permitted in some countries.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 2.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Jn - Telephone Jack Control

This command is only included for compatibility and performs no
function except to load the S-register. The parameter value, if
valid, is written S21 bit 1.

&J0     &J0 command. (Default.)

&J1     &J1 command.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Kn - Flow Control

This command defines the DTE/DCE (terminal/modem) flow control
mechanism. The parameter value, if valid, is written to S39 bits
0, 1, and 2.

&K0     Disables flow control.

&K3     Enables RTS/CTS flow control. (Default for data modem modes.)

&K4     Enables XON/XOFF flow control.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0, 3, or 4.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Ln - Leased Line Operation

This command selects leased or dial-up line operation for
compatibility. The OK response is returned for a valid
parameter, but no other action is performed. The parameter
value, if valid, is written to S27 bit 2.

&L0     Selects dial-up line operation. 

&L1     Selects leased line operation. 

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Mn - Asynchronous/Synchronous Mode Selection

This command determines the DTR operating mode. The modem treats
the &M command as a subset of the &Q command.

&M0     Selects direct asynchronous operation. Note that the command
sequence &M0\N0 selects normal buffered mode, but the command
sequence \N0&M0 selects direct mode. This is because the \N0
command is analogous to the &Q6 command. The value 000b is
written to S27 bits 3, 1, and 0, respectively. (See &Q).

&M1     Selects synchronous connect mode with async off-line command
mode. The value 001b is written to S27 bits 3, 1, and 0,
respectively.

&M2     Selects synchronous connect mode with async off-line command
mode. Same as &M1 except that &M2 enables DTR dialling of
directory slot 0. The modem will disconnect if DTR is OFF for
more than the period in S25 (in units of hundredths of a
second): the data connection will be synchronous. The value 010b
is written to S27 bits 3, 1, and 0, respectively.

&M3     Selects synchronous connect mode. This mode allows DTR to
act as a talk/data switch. The call is manually initiated while
DTR is inactive. When DTR becomes active, the handshake proceeds
in originate or answer mode according to S14 bit 7. The value
011b is written to S27 bits 3, 1, and 0, respectively.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 3.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Pn - Select Pulse Dial Make/Break Ratio

This command determines the make/break ratio used during pulse
dialling. It is only effective if the appropriate bit to enable
this command is set through the ConfigurACE program. If enabled,
it will override the make/break ratios in the OEM parameters in
ConfigurACE. The default is country-dependent. The parameter
value, if valid, is written to S28 bits 3 and 4.

&P0     Selects 39%-61% make/break ratio at 10 pulses per second.
(Default.)

&P1     Selects 33%-67% make/break ratio at 10 pulses per second.

&P2     Selects 39%-61% make/break ratio at 20 pulses per second.

&P3     Selects 33%-67% make/break ratio at 20 pulses per second.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 3.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Qn - Sync/Async Mode

This command is an extension of the &M command and is used to
control the connection modes permitted. It is used in
conjunction with S36 and S48. (Also, see \N.) 

NOTE: When the &Q0 to &Q4 command is issued to select the mode,
the subsequent connect message will report the DCE speed
regardless of the W command and S95 settings.

&Q0     Selects direct asynchronous operation. See &M0.

&Q1     Selects synchronous connect mode with async off-line command
mode. See &M1.

&Q2     Selects synchronous connect mode with async off-line command
mode. See &M2.

&Q4     Selects AutoSync operation. The value 100b is written to S27
bits 3, 1, and 0, respectively. 

	AutoSync operation, when used in conjunction with the Hayes
Synchronous Interface (HSI) capability in the DTE, provides
synchronous communication capability from an asynchronous
terminal. 

	Starting AutoSync. Set registers S19, S20, and S25 to the
desired values before selecting AutoSync operation with &Q4.
After the CONNECT message is issued, the modem waits the period
of time specified by S25 before examining DTR. If DTR is on, the
modem enters the synchronous operating state; if DTR is off, the
modem terminates the line connection and returns to the
asynchronous command state.

	Stopping AutoSync. AutoSync operation is stopped upon loss of
carrier or the on-to-off transition of DTR. Loss of carrier will
cause the modem to return to the asynchronous command state. An
on-to-off transition of DTR will cause the modem to return to
the asynchronous command state and either not terminate the line
connection (&D1 active) or terminate the line connection (any
other &Dn command active).

&Q5     The modem will try to negotiate an error-corrected link. The
modem can be configured using S36 to determine whether a failure
will result in the modem returning on-hook or will result in
fallback to an asynchronous connection. The value 101b is
written to S27 bits 3, 1, and 0, respectively. (Default.)

&Q6     Selects asynchronous operation in normal mode (speed
buffering). The value 110b is written to S27 bits 3, 1, and 0,
respectively.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 6.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Rn - RTS/CTS Option

This selects how the modem controls CTS. CTS operation is
modified if hardware flow control is selected (see &K command).

&R0     In sync mode, CTS tracks the state of RTS; the RTS-to-CTS
delay is defined by S26. In async mode, CTS acts according to
V.25 bis handshake. 

&R1     In sync mode, CTS is always ON (RTS transitions are
ignored). In async mode, CTS will only drop if required by flow
control. (Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Sn - DSR Override

This command selects how the modem will control DSR. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S21 bit 6.

&S0     DSR will remain ON at all times. (Default.)

&S1     DSR will become active after answer tone has been detected
and inactive after the carrier has been lost.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Tn - Test and Diagnostics

The modem will perform selected test and diagnostic functions
according to the parameter supplied. A test can be run only when
in an asynchronous operation in non-error-correction mode
(normal or direct mode). To terminate a test in progress, the
escape sequence must be entered first, except for parameters 7
and 8 (see Section 3.1.3). If S18 is non-zero, a test will
terminate automatically after the time specified by S18 and
display the OK message.

&T0     Terminates test in progress. Clears S16.

&T1     Initiates local analog loopback, V.54 Loop 3. Sets S16 bit
0. If a connection exists when this command is issued, the modem
hangs up. The CONNECT XXXX message is displayed upon the start
of the test.

&T2     Returns ERROR.

&T3     Initiates local digital loopback, V.54 Loop 2. Sets S16 bit
2. If no connection exists, ERROR is returned. Sets S16 bit 4
when the test is in progress.

&T4     Enables digital loopback acknowledgment for remote request,
i.e., an RDL request from a remote modem is allowed. Sets S23
bit 0. (Default.)

&T5     Disables digital loopback acknowledgment for remote request,
i.e., an RDL request from a remote modem is denied. Clears S23
bit 0.

&T6     Requests a remote digital loopback (RDL), V.54 Loop 2,
without self test. If no connection exists, ERROR is returned.
Sets S16 bit 4 when the test is in progress. The CONNECT XXXX
message is displayed upon the start of the test.

&T7     Requests a remote digital loopback (RDL) ,V.54 Loop 2, with
self test. (In self test, a test pattern is looped back and
checked by the modem.) If no connection exists, ERROR is
returned. When the test is terminated either via expiration of
S18, or via the &T0 or H command, the number of detected errors
is reported to the DTE. Sets S16 bit 5 when the test is in
progress.

&T8     Initiates local analog loopback, V.54 Loop 3, with self
test. (In self test, a test pattern is looped back and checked
by the modem.) If a connection exists, the modem hangs up before
the test is initiated. When the test is terminated either via
expiration of S18, or via the &T0 or H command, the number of
detected errors is reported to the DTE. Sets S16 bit 6 when the
test is in progress. This command may not be available in some
countries due to PTT restrictions. 

&V - Display Current Configuration and Stored Profiles.

Reports the current (active) configuration, the stored (user)
profiles, and the first four stored telephone numbers. The
stored profiles and telephone numbers are not displayed if the
NVRAM is not installed or is not operational as detected by the
NVRAM test during reset processing. 

Result Code:

OK

Example:

AT&V

ACTIVE PROFILE:

B0 E1 L1 M1 N1 QO T V1 W0 X4 Y0 &C0 &D0 &G2 &J0 &K3 &Q5 &R1 &S0
&T4 &X0 &Y0

S00:002 S01:000 S02:043 S03:013 S04:010 S05:008 S06:002 S07:030
S08:002 S09:006

S10:014 S11:255 S12:050 S18:000 S25:005 S26:001 S36:007 S37:000
S38:020 S46:138 

S48:007 S95:000

STORED PROFILE 0:

B0 E1 L1 M1 N1 QO T V1 W0 X4 Y0 &C0 &D0 &G2 &J0 &K3 &Q5 &R1 &S0
&T4 &X0

S00:002 S02:043 S06:002 S07:030 S08:002 S09:006 S10:014 S11:095
S12:050 S18:000

S36:007 S37:000 S40:105 S41:003 S46:138 S95:000

STORED PROFILE 1:

B0 E1 L1 M1 N1 QO T V1 W0 X4 Y0 &C0 &D0 &G2 &J0 &K3 &Q5 &R1 &S0
&T4 &X0

S00:002 S02:043 S06:002 S07:030 S08:002 S09:006 S10:014 S11:095
S12:050 S18:000

S36:007 S37:000 S40:105 S41:003 S46:138 S95:000

TELEPHONE NUMBERS:

0 =     1 =

2 =     3 =

OK

If the NVRAM is not installed or is not operational as detected
by the NVRAM test, the following message is displayed:

NVRAM FAILED OR NOT INSTALLED

&Wn - Store Current Configuration

Saves the current (active) configuration (profile), including S
registers, in one of the two user profiles in NVRAM as denoted
by the parameter value. This command will yield an ERROR message
if the NVRAM is not installed or is not operational as detected
by the NVRAM test.

The current configuration is comprised of a list of storable
parameters illustrated in the &V command. These settings are
restored to the active configuration upon receiving an Zn
command or at power up (see &Yn command).

&W0     Store the current configuration as profile 0.

&W1     Store the current configuration as profile 1.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Xn - Select Synchronous Clock Source

Selects the source of the transmit clock for the synchronous
mode of operation. The parameter value, if valid, is written to
S27 bits 4 and 5.

In asynchronous mode, the transmit and receive clocks are turned
OFF. In synchronous mode, the clocks are turned ON with the
frequency of 1200 Hz or faster corresponding to the speed that
is selected for modem operation.

&X0     Selects internal timing. The modem generates the transmit
clock signal and applies it to the TXCLK output at the serial
interface.

&X1     Selects external timing. The local DTE sources the transmit
clock signal on the XTCLK input of the serial interface. The
modem applies this clock to the TXCLK output at the serial
interface.

&X2     Selects slave receive timing. The modem derives the transmit
clock signal from the incoming carrier and applies it to the
TXCLK output at the serial interface.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 2.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Yn - Designate a Default Reset Profile

Selects which user profile will be used after a hard reset.

&Y0     The modem will use profile 0.

&Y1     The modem will use profile 1.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

&Zn=x - Store telephone number

The modem can store up to 4 (US) or 20 (W-class) telephone
numbers. Each telephone number dial string can contain up to 45
digits.

&Zn=x   n = 0 to 3 (US) and x = dial string. (Requires 256-byte
NVRAM.)

&Zn=x   n = 0 to 19 (W-class) and x = dial string. (Requires
2048-byte NVRAM.)

Result Codes:

OK      For n = 0 to 3 (US) or 19 (W-class), and x less than or equal
to 45 digits.

ERROR   If n > 3 (US) or 19 (W-class), or x greater than 45 digits.

3.2.3.  AT% Commands

%En - Enable/Disable Line Quality Monitor and Auto-Retrain or
Fallback/Fall Forward

Controls whether or not the modem will automatically monitor the
line quality and request a retrain (%E1) or fall back when line
quality is insufficient or fall forward when line quality is
sufficient (%E2). Applies to dial-up line only. The parameter
value, if valid, is written to S41 bits 2 and 6.

If enabled, the modem attempts to retrain for a maximum of 30
seconds.

%E0     Disable line quality monitor and auto-retrain. (Default.)

%E1     Enable line quality monitor and auto-retrain.

%E2     Enable line quality monitor and fallback/fall forward. (Not
applicable to RC96V24AC or RC14V24AC.)

%E3     Enable line quality monitor and auto-retrain, but hang-up
immediately when EQM reaches hang-up threshhold (fast hang-up).

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0, 1, or 2.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Fallback/Fall Forward. When %E2 is active, the modem monitors
the line quality (EQM). When line quality is insufficient, the
modem will initiate a rate renegotiation to a lower speed within
the V.32 bis/V.32 modulation speeds. The modem will keep falling
back if necessary until the speed reaches 4800 bps. Below this
rate, the modem will only do retrains if EQM thresholds are
exceeded. If the EQM is sufficient for at least one minute, the
modem will initiate a rate renegotiation to a higher speed
within the V.32/V.32bis modulation speeds. The rate
renegotiations will be done without a retrain if a V.32bis
connection is established.

Speeds attempted during fallback/fall forward are those shown to
be available in the rate sequences exchanged during the initial
connection. Fallback/fall forward is available in error
correction and normal modes, but not in direct mode or
synchronous mode with external clocks. 

%L - Line Signal Level

Returns a value which indicates the received signal level. The
value returned is a direct indication (DAA dependent) of the
receive level at the MDP, not at the telephone line connector.
For example, 009 = -9 dBm, 043 = -43 dBm, and so on.

Result Codes:

OK

%Q - Line Signal Quality

Reports the line signal quality (DAA dependent). Returns the
higher order byte of the EQM value. Based on the EQM value,
retrain or fallback/fall forward may be initiated if enabled by
%E1 or %E2.

Example:

AT%Q

015

Result Codes:

OK      If connected.

ERROR   If not connected, or connected in 300 bps, V.23, or fax
modes.

%TTn - PTT Testing Utilities

Facilitates PTT testing of signal levels by providing continuous
signals regardless of whether the modem is connected or not. The
signal transmitted is in accordance with the parameter provided.

This is a range of commands that allow the user to initiate a
series of signals that are necessary for PTT approval. The
signals emitted include answer tone, modulation, carriers, and
other pertinent signals. A test is initiated upon receipt of an
%TT (T is a password), and the test is aborted when any keyboard
character is entered. The modem will continuously transmit the
tone or carrier according to the parameter supplied.

	%TT00-%TT09     DTMF tone dial digits 0 to 9.

	%TT0A   DTMF digit *.

	%TT0B   DTMF digit A.

	%TT0C   DTMF digit B.

	%TT0D   DTMF digit C.

	%TT0E   DTMF digit #.

	%TT0F   DTMF digit D.

	%TT10   V.21 channel 1 mark (originate) symbol.

	%TT11   V.21 channel 2 mark symbol.

	%TT12   V.23 backward channel mark symbol.

	%TT13   V.23 forward channel mark symbol.

	%TT14   V.22 originate (call mark) signalling at 600 bps.

	%TT15   V.22 originate (call mark) signalling at 1200 bps.

	%TT16   V.22 bis originate (call mark) signalling at 2400 bps.

	%TT17   V.22 answer signalling (guard tone if PTT required).

	%TT18   V.22 bis answer signalling (guard tone if required).

	%TT19   V.21 channel 1 space symbol.

	%TT20   V.32 9600 bps.

	%TT21   V.32 bis 14400 bps.

	%TT1A   V.21 channel 2 space symbol.

	%TT1B   V.23 backward channel space symbol.

	%TT1C   V.23 forward channel space symbol.

	%TT30   Silence (on-line), i.e., go off-hook.

	%TT31   V.25 answer tone.

	%TT32   1800 Hz guard tone.

	%TT33   V.25 calling tone (1300 Hz).

	%TT34   Fax calling tone (1100 Hz).

	%TT40   V.23 channel 2

	%TT41   V.27 ter 2400 bps

	%TT42   V.27 ter 4800 bps

	%TT43   V.29 7200 bps

	%TT44   V.29 9600 bps

	%TT45   V.17 7200 bps long train

	%TT46   V.17 7200 bps short train

	%TT47   V.17 9600 bps long train

	%TT48   V.17 9600 bps short train

	%TT49   V.17 12000 bps long train

	%TT4A   V.17 12000 bps short train

	%TT4B   V.17 14400 bps long train

	%TT4C   V.17 14400 bps short train

To permit output signal spectra measurement, data can be
transmitted in the absence of a received signal by setting S10
equal to 255.

3.2.4.  AT\ Commands

\Gn - Modem-to-Modem Flow Control (XON/XOFF)

In non-error correction mode, the modem enables or disables the
generation or recognition of modem-to-modem XON/XOFF flow
control according to the parameter supplied. The parameter
value, if valid, is written to S41 bit 3.

In error correction mode, the setting of modem-to-modem XON/XOFF
flow control is ignored. However, the serial port flow control
settings (AT&K) remain active during a reliable link.

Due to the buffering system used in the modem, modem-to-modem
flow control is normally disabled.

\G0     Disables modem-to-modem XON/XOFF flow control. (Default.)

\G1     Enables modem-to-modem XON/XOFF flow control.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

\Kn - Break Control

Controls the response of the modem to a break received from the
DTE or the remote modem or the \B command according to the
parameter supplied. The parameter value, if valid, is written to
S40 bits 3, 4, and 5.

The response is different in three separate states.

The first state is where the modem receives a break from the DTE
when the modem is operating in data transfer mode:

\K0     Enter on-line command mode, no break sent to the remote
modem.

\K1     Clear data buffers and send break to remote modem.

\K2     Same as 0.

\K3     Send break to remote modem immediately.

\K4     Same as 0.

\K5     Send break to remote modem in sequence with transmitted
data. (Default.)

The second case is where the modem is in the on-line command
state (waiting for AT commands) during a data connection, and
the \B is received in order to send a break to the remote modem:

\K0     Clear data buffers and send break to remote modem.

\K1     Clear data buffers and send break to remote modem. (Same as
0.)

\K2     Send break to remote modem immediately.

\K3     Send break to remote modem immediately. (Same as 2.)

\K4     Send break to remote modem in sequence with data.

\K5     Send break to remote modem in sequence with data. (Same as
4.) (Default.)

The third case is where a break is received from a remote modem
during a non-error corrected connection:

\K0     Clears data buffers and sends break to the DTE.

\K1     Clears data buffers and sends break to the DTE. (Same as 0.)

\K2     Send a break immediately to DTE.

\K3     Send a break immediately to DTE. (Same as 2.)

\K4     Send a break in sequence with received data to DTE.

\K5     Send a break in sequence with received data to DTE. (Same as
4.) (Default.)

Note that when S82 is modified, the modem converts the Hayes
specific value to the \K format and updates S40 to match.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 5.

ERROR   Otherwise.

\Nn - Operating Mode

This command controls the preferred error correcting mode to be
negotiated in a subsequent data connection. This command is
affected by the OEM firmware configuration.

\N0     Selects normal speed buffered mode (disables
error-correction mode). (Forces &Q6.)

\N1     Serial interface selected - Selects direct mode and is
equivalent to &M0, &Q0 mode of operation. (Forces &Q0.)

	Parallel interface selected - Same as \N0.

\N2     Selects reliable (error-correction) mode. The modem will
first attempt a LAPM connection and then an MNP connection.
Failure to make a reliable connection results in the modem
hanging up. (Forces &Q5, S36=4, and S48=7.)

\N3     Selects auto reliable mode. This operates the same as \N2
except failure to make a reliable connection results in the
modem falling back to the speed buffered normal mode. (Forces
&Q5, S36=7, and S48=7.)

\N4     Selects LAPM error-correction mode. Failure to make an LAPM
error-correction connection results in the modem hanging up.
(Forces &Q5 and S48=0.) Note: The -K1 command can override the
\N4 command.

\N5     Selects MNP error-correction mode. Failure to make an MNP
error-correction connection results in the modem hanging up.
(Forces &Q5, S36=4, and S48=128.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 5.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.3.   ERROR DETECTION AND DATA COMPRESSION COMMANDS

3.3.1.  AT% Commands

%C - Enable/Disable Data Compression

Enables or disables data compression negotiation. The modem can
only perform data compression on an error corrected link. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S41 bits 0 and 1.

%C0     Disables data compression. Resets S46 bit 1.

%C1     Enables MNP 5 data compression negotiation. Resets S46 bit 1.

%C2     Enables V.42 bis data compression. Sets S46 bit 1.

%C3     Enables both V.42 bis and MNP 5 data compression. Sets S46
bit 1. (Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0, 1, 2, or 3.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.3.2.  AT\ Commands

\An - Select Maximum MNP Block Size

The modem will operate an MNP error corrected link using a
maximum block size controlled by the parameter supplied. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S40 bits 6 and 7.

\A0     64 characters.

\A1     128 characters. (Default.)

\A2     192 characters.

\A3     256 characters.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 3.

ERROR   Otherwise.

\Bn - Transmit Break to Remote

In non-error correction mode, the modem will transmit a break
signal to the remote modem with a length in multiples of 100 ms
according to parameter specified. If a number in excess of 9 is
entered, 9 is used. The command works in conjunction with the \K
command.

In error correction mode, the modem will signal a break through
the active error correction protocol, giving no indication of
the length.

\B1-\B9 Break length in 100 ms units. (Default = 3.) (Non-error
corrected mode only.)

Result Codes:

OK      If connected in data modem mode.

NO CARRIER      If not connected or connected in fax modem mode.

Note: When the modem receives a break from the remote modem,
break is passed to the DTE as follows: In non-error correction
mode direct, the length is passed; in non-error correction mode
normal,

\Ln - MNP Block/Stream Mode Select

At connection time, this command controls the selection between
block and stream modes of operation in MNP. The parameter value,
if valid, is written to S41 bit 4.

\L0     Use stream mode for MNP connection. (Default.)

\L1     Use interactive block mode for MNP connection. This command
will accept block mode but implement stream mode.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.4.   MNP 10 COMMANDS

3.4.1.  AT) Commands

)Mn - Enable Cellular Power Level Adjustment

Enables or disables automatic adjustment of the transmit power
level during link negotiation for reliable links to accommodate
the signalling requirements of cellular telephone equipment. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S40 bit 2. Note that
the @Mn command sets the initial transmit level.

)M0     Disables power level adjustment during MNP 10 link
negotiation. (Default.)

)M1     Enables power level adjustment during MNP 10 link
negotiation.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.4.2.  AT- Commands

*Hn - Link Negotiation Speed

This command controls the connection speed for link negotiations
before upshift occurs between two MNP Class 10 modems. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S40 bit 2.

*H0     Link negotiation occurs at the highest supported speed.
(Default.)

*H1     Link negotiation occurs at 1200 bps.

*H2     Link negotiation occurs at 4800 bps.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 2.

ERROR   Otherwise.

-Kn - MNP Extended Services

Enables or disables conversion of a V.42 LAPM connection to an
MNP 10 connection. The parameter value, if valid, is written to
S40 bit 0.

-K0     Disables V.42 LAPM to MNP 10 conversion.

-K1     Enables V.42 LAPM to MNP 10 conversion. (Default.)

-K2     Enables V.42 LAPM to MNP 10 conversion; inhibits MNP
Extended Services initiation during V.42 LAPM answer mode
detection phase.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

-Qn - Enable Fallback to V.22 bis/V.22

Enables or disables fallback from MNP 10 to V.22 bis/V.22. The
parameter value, if valid, is written to S40 bit 1.

-Q0     Disables fallback to 2400 bps (V.22bis) and 1200 bps (V.22).
Fallback is enabled only to 4800 bps.

-Q1     Enables fallback to 2400 bps (V.22bis) and 1200 bps (V.22).
(Default.)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

@Mn - Initial Cellular Power Level Setting

Sets the initial transmit power level for upshift at connect
until line conditions can be determined. @M0 corresponds to -26
dBm, @M1 corresponds to -30 dBm, @M2 through @M10 correspond to
-10 dBm, and @M11 through @M31 correspond to -11 dBm to -31 dBm,
respectively. The parameter value, if valid, is written to S201
bits 0-4. 

(Default.)

@M0     -26 dBm (Default.)

@M1     -30 dBm

@M2     -10 dBm

@M3 - @M10      -10 dBm

@M11    -11 dBm

@M12    -12 dBm

.

.

.

@M30    -30 dBm

@M31    -31 dBm

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 to 31.

ERROR   Otherwise.

:E - Compromise Equalizer Enable Command

Enables or disables the V.32 compromise equalizer. The parameter
value, if valid, is written to S201 bit 5. This command can be
used when the modem is attached to either a flat line or a
cellular connection.

:E0     Disables the equalizer

:E1     Enables the equalizer (Default)

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.5.   W-CLASS COMMANDS

3.5.1.  AT% Commands

%Fn - Split-Speed Direction Select

Determines which direction (transmit or receive) has the 75 bps
channel, and which has the 1200 bps channel. This command is
only valid if the \W1 command has been executed.

%F1     Selects 75Tx/1200Rx. Resets S28 bits 1 and 2. (Default.)

%F2     Selects 1200Tx/75Rx. Sets S28 bit 1 and resets S28 bit 2. 

%Mn - AUXCTL Output Line Control 

Configures the AUXCTL output line to be used to switch between
primary and auxiliary V.24 ports or to be used as a command/data
mode indicator (synchronous modes only).

%M0     Sets the AUXCTL line low. The line will go high when the
modem enters data mode if synchronous is selected.(i.e., for
modes &M1, &M2, or &M3). The line will return low at the end of
data mode. (Default.)

%M1     Sets the AUXCTL line high. The line will go low when the
modem enters data mode and will return high when the data mode
terminates and the command mode is entered.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.5.2. AT* Commands

*B - Display Blacklisted Numbers

This command requests the modem to return a list of blacklisted
numbers to the DTE. The format of the response is shown by the
example below. Permanently forbidden numbers as defined by
country requirements will not appear on this list. If no numbers
are blacklisted, only the OK result code is issued.

Example:

	NO. - PHONE NUMBER -

	------ ------------------------------

	1;      4175537660

	2;      8288924961

	3;      3887278862

	4;      3124839442

	5;      6284664

	OK

*C - Remote Configuration Password

This command instructs the modem to store a password. Following
this command, the response "ENTER PASSWORD" is generated, after
which the new password should be entered. The password supplied
by a remote modem wishing to reconfigure this local modem must
match the password stored by the local modem in response to the
*C command. The password must be alphanumeric and between 6 and
12 characters in length. This command works only with MNP
connections. The default password is QWERTY. (Also, see *E and
*R commands.)

* D - Display Delayed Numbers

This command causes the modem to send a list of the delayed
numbers together with the delay associated with each. The modem
will return a list of delayed telephone numbers as defined in
the *B command. The format of the response is shown by the
example below (delay times are shown hours:minutes:seconds). If
no numbers are delayed, only the OK result code is issued.

Example:

	NO. - PHONE NUMBER -DELAY

	------ -------------------------------------------

	1;      8264734660      2:00:00

	2;      7532634661      2:00:00

	3;      2587334662      0:02:00

	4;      7532651663      0:03:25

	5;      7459931664      0:01:45

	OK

*E - Exit Remote Configuration Mode

Upon receipt of this command from the telephone line, the modem
will exit remote configuration mode and transmit the OK result
code to the line. (Also, see register S202.)

*L - Display Secure Access (Callback) Directory.

The modem will display all secure access (callback) directory
entries.

Format:

Entry Number - Password:Callback Number.

Example:

0-MERAS02       (Password entered; no callback number)

1-872FRD:345-7895551212 (Password entered; callback number)

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

10

11-

12-

13-

14-

15-

16-

17-

18-

19-

OK

*NCnn - Country Select

Up to eight sets of country parameters may be stored in the
EPROM. This command checks to see if the entered number matches
the country code of one of the countries stored in the EPROM. If
found, the modem stores the location of that country in NVRAM.
Upon power up or a soft reset (Z command), the modem uses this
location to load the parameters for the corresponding country.
The default value of zero is used if no NVRAM is installed or
the NVRAM failed self test during reset.

Note: Automatic DAA country code recognition is enabled by the
NC0 command (the 0 country code is reserved for this function).
Automatic DAA country code recognition is disabled when by the
NCnn command selecting any other valid country code.

*NCnn   Select country parameters corresponding to entered country
code (nn). The country codes are:

	Country Code (nn)

	Australia       40

	Austria 1

	Belgium 2

	Canada  20

	Denmark 3

	Finland 4

	France  5

	Germany 6

	Greece  17

	Ireland 7

	Israel  18

	Italy   8

	Japan   43

	Luxembourg      9

	Mexico  21

	Netherlands     10

	New Zealand     48

	Norway  11

	Portugal        12

	Singapore       47

	Spain   13

	Sweden  14

	Switzerland     15

	United Kingdom  16

	United States   22

Result Codes:

OK      If parameters corresponding to entered country code are
present in EPROM.

ERROR   Otherwise.

*P - Store Callback Password

This command causes the modem to store a password and to store
or delete a corresponding telephone number in NVRAM. The
password will be used to match that supplied by a remote modem
when secure access is used. The modem will use the telephone
number to dial back the remote modem. The password must be
between 6 and 12 characters in length. The telephone number
length is 40 characters maximum. If the number to be dialled
back (along with the final colon) is omitted, a password check
will be performed, but no callback will occur. Up to 20
password/telephone number pairs may be entered.

AT*Pn: <password>:<number to be dialled back>

Parameters: 0 to 19.

Result Codes:

OK      For parameters 0 to n and for dial string of less than 41
digits.

ERROR   Otherwise.

*R - Request Remote Configuration Mode

This command from the DTE requests that the local modem attempt
to place the remote modem in remote configuration mode. This
command will only be accepted if the local modem is in on-line
command state during an MNP error corrected link. Enter the
password (from 6 to 12 characters in length) after the REMOTE
PASSWORD prompt is displayed by the local DTE. The entered
password is inserted in a remote configuration request (a
special MNP frame) and is sent to the remote modem.

Following a successful request, indicated by the display of the
!AT prompt by the local DTE, the local DTE may send commands to
the remote modem. These commands, a subset of the normal
commands available, should be entered without the 'AT' header.
Some commands are prohibited and others may produce
unpredictable results. To exit the remote configuration mode,
enter the *E command or the escape sequence defined by register
S202. The default password is QWERTY. (Also, see * C and * E
commands and register S202.)

*Zn - Change Dial Codes:

In some countries, notably Norway, there exist two methods of
pulse dialing. This command allows the user to select one of the
two methods as appropriate for the application.

*Z0     Use dial code 0. (Default.)

*Z1     Use dial code 1.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.5.3. AT\ Commands

\F - Display Telephone Directory

The modem displays the telephone directory entries which were
stored with the &Z command.

\S - Report Active Configuration 

The modem reports the current (active) configuration for display.

Example:

CMD     DESCRIPTION / OPTION

---     ---------------------

	DTE BPS 2400

	DTE PARITY      8NONE

	DIAL MODE       PULSE

	LINE SPEED      NONE

B       BELL MODE       OFF

E       CMD ECHO        ON

F       LINE MODE       AUTO

L       SPKR VOLUME     LOW

M       SPKR CONTROL    1

N       AUTO MODE       OFF

Q       QUIET   ON

V       RESULT FORM     LONG

W       EC MESG 0

X       EXT RESULTS     4

Y       LONG SPACE DISC YES

%C      COMPRESSION     BOTH

%E      AUTO RETRAIN    OFF

-K      EXT. SERVICES   OFF

CMD    DESCRIPTION / OPTION

---     ---------------------

&C      DCD OPTION      0

&D      DTR OPTION      0

&G      GUARD TONE      NONE

&K      FLOW CONTROL    NONE

&P      PULSE MODE      0

&Q      ASYNC/SYNC      0

&R      RTS/CTS 0

&S      DSR OPT 0

&T      ENABLE RDL      YES

&X      SYNC CLOCK      INT

&Y      PROFILE NVM 0

\A      MAX BLK SIZE    64

\G      REMOTE FLOW     ON

\K      BRK OPT 2

\N      ECL MODE        NORM

\W      SPLIT SPEED     OFF

*H      NEG. SPEED      HIGH

)M      CELLULAR        OFF

CMD    DESCRIPTION / OPTION 

---     ---------------------

S0      RINGS TO ANS    002

S1      RING COUNT      000

S2      <ESC> CHAR      043

S3      <CR> CHAR       013

S4      <LF> CHAR       010

S5      <BS> CHAR       008

S8      PAUSE TIME      001

S12     ESC GUARD TIME  050

S18     TEST TIME       000

S24     SLEEP INACT     000

S30     CONNECT INACT   000

S32     <XON> CHAR      017

S33     <XOFF> CHAR     019

S36     FALLBACK ACTION 000

S37     MODE SELECT     000

S38     V.42 NEG. CTRL  000

S48     V42 NEG CTRL    128

S95     RES. CODE       000

OK

\Wn - Split-Speed Operation

This command supports a split-speed DCE/DTE interface for
applications such as Viewdata terminals which require a transmit
speed of 75 bps and receive speed of 1200 bps at the DTE
interface. The parameter value, if valid, is written to S28 bit
0.

\W0     Disables split-speed mode. (Default.)

\W1     Enables split-speed mode. V.23 operation is also forced as
though F3 had been entered. Note that %Fn command determines the
split screen direction.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 1.

ERROR   Otherwise.

3.6.   CALLER ID COMMANDS

3.6.1.  AT#CID Command

#CIDn - Caller ID

Enables or disables Caller ID.

#CID=0  Disables Caller ID. (Default.)

#CID=1  Enables Caller ID with formatted presentation to the DTE.
The modem will present the data items in a <Tag><Value> pair
format. The expected pairs are data, time, caller code
(telephone number), and name.

#CID=2  Enables Caller ID with unformatted presentation to the
DTE. The modem will present the entire packet of information,
excluding the leading U's, in ASCII printable hex numbers.

Result Codes:

OK      n = 0 or 2.

ERROR   Otherwise.

Inquiries

#CID?   Retrieves the current Caller ID mode from the modem.

#CID=?  Returns the mode capabilities of the modem in a list with
each element separated by commas.

Formatted Form Reporting

The modem presents the data in the <tag> = <value> pair format
as described in the table below. Spaces are present on both
sides of the equal sign.

	Tag     Description

DATE    DATE = MMDD where MM is the month number (01 to 12) and DD
is the day number (01..31).

TIME    TIME = HHMM where HH is the hour number (00 to 23) and MM
is the minute number (00 to 59).

NMBR    NMBR = <number> or P or O where <number> is the telephone
number of the caller, where P indicates that the calling number
information is not available since the originating caller has
requested private service, and where O indicates that the
calling number information is not available or out of service at
the calling location.

NAME    NAME = <listing name> where <listing name> is the
subscription name.

MESG    MESG = <data tag> <length of message> <data> <checksum> in
printable ASCII hex numbers. This tag indicates a data item not
listed above. The message is only possible for Multiple Message
Format.

Notes:

1.      The modem does not present any Caller ID information if the
DCE detects a checksum error in the Caller ID packet.

2.      In the event of an unrecognized data tag, the modem will
present the data in ASCII hex numbers following the MESG tag.

Example of Formatted Form Reporting

1.      The following example illustrates the standard Caller ID
message packet.

RING

DATE    =       0321

TIME    =       1405

NMBR    =       5045551234

NAME    =       A N OTHER

RING

RING

2.      The following example illustrates the case where the tag of
the packet is not recognized by the modem.

RING

MESG    =       060342424231

RING

RING

Unformatted Form Reporting

The modem presents all information and packet control
information found in the message. The modem, however, excludes
the leading U's (channel seizure information) from the
presentation. The packet is presented in ASCII printable hex
numbers, the modem does not insert spaces, or line feeds, for
formatting between bytes or words of the packet.

The modem does not detect the checksum of the packet.

Example of Unformatted Form Reporting

RING

0412303332323234303539313435353132333435

RING

RING

3.7.   AT COMMAND RESULT CODES

The modem responds to commands from the DTE and to activity on
the line by signalling to the DTE in the form of result codes.
The result codes that the modem can send are described below.

Two forms of each result code are available: long-form, an
English-like "verbose" response, and short-form, a data-like
numeric response (included in parentheses following the
long-form). The long-form code is preceded and terminated by the
sequence < CR> < LF>. The short-form is terminated by < CR>,
only with no preceding sequence.

If result messages are suppressed, nothing is returned to the
DTE. The long-form results codes can be modified by the OEM
through the ConfigurACE Configuration Utility Program. (See
ConfigurACE description.)

00- OK

The OK code is returned by the modem to acknowledge execution of
a command line.

01- CONNECT

The modem will send this result code upon connecting when:

1.      The line speed is 300 bps and the modem has been instructed
to report the line speed to the DTE upon connecting, or

2.      The DTE speed is 300 bps and the modem has been instructed to
report the DTE speed to the DTE upon connecting, or

3.      The range of result code responses is restricted by the X
command such that no speed reporting is allowed.

02- RING

The modem sends this result code when incoming ringing is
detected on the line. What qualifies as a ring signal is
determined by country-dependent parameters, modifiable through
ConfigurACE.

03- NO CARRIER

The modem sends this result code when attempting to establish a
call if:

1.      Ringback is detected and later ceases but no carrier is
detected within the period of time determined by register S7, or

2.      No ringback is detected within the period of time determined
by register S7.

This result code is also used when the modem auto-disconnects
due to loss of carrier.

Under X0, if busy tone detection is enforced, this result code
is used as a response to the detection of busy or circuit busy.
Under X0, if dial tone detection is enforced or selected, this
result code is used to indicate that dial tone has not been
detected.

04- ERROR

The modem returns this result code if the command line contains
a syntax error or it is unable to execute a command contained in
the command line. It is issued if a command does not exist or if
the parameter supplied is outside the permitted range.

Under X0, X1, X2, and X3, this result is used instead of DELAYED
and BLACKLISTED.

05- CONNECT 1200

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code when:

1.      The line speed is 1200 bps and the modem has been instructed
to report the line speed to the DTE upon connecting, or

2.      The DTE speed is 1200 bps and the modem has been instructed
to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon connecting.

(Also, see the W command.)

06- NO DIALTONE

For X2 and X4, the modem sends this result code if it has been
instructed to wait for dial tone during dialling but none is
received.

07- BUSY

For X3 and X4, if busy tone detection is enforced, the modem
sends this result code when attempting to originate a call if
the busy (engaged) signal is detected on the line.

08- NO ANSWER

The modem sends this result code when attempting to originate a
call if a continuous ringback signal is detected on the line
until the expiration of the timer S7.

09- CONNECT 0600

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code when:

1.      The line speed is 600 bps and the modem has been instructed
to report the line speed to the DTE upon connecting, or

2.      The DTE speed is 600 bps and the modem has been instructed to
report the DTE speed to the DTE upon connecting.

10- CONNECT 2400

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code when:

1.      The line speed is 2400 bps and the modem has been instructed
to report the line speed to the DTE upon connecting, or

2.      The DTE speed is 2400 bps and the modem has been instructed
to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon connecting.

11- CONNECT 4800

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code when
the DTE speed is 4800 bps and the modem has been instructed to
report the DTE speed upon connecting.

12- CONNECT 9600

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 9600 bps and the modem has been
instructed to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon connecting.

13- CONNECT 7200

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 7200 bps and the modem has been
instructed to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon connecting.

14- CONNECT 12000

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 12000 bps and the modem has
been instructed to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon
connecting.

15- CONNECT 14400

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 14400 bps and the modem has
been instructed to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon
connecting.

16- CONNECT 19200

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem returns this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 19,200 bps and the modem has
been instructed to report the DTE speed upon connecting.

17- CONNECT 38400

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 38400 bps and the modem has
been instructed to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon
connecting.

18- CONNECT 57600

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem sends this result code upon
connecting when the DTE speed is 57600 bps and the modem has
been instructed to report the DTE speed to the DTE upon
connecting.

22- CONNECT 75TX/1200RX

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem returns this result code upon
establishing a V.23 originate connection when the modem has been
instructed to report the DCE speed upon connection.

23- CONNECT 1200TX/75RX

For X1, X2, X3, and X4, the modem returns this result code upon
establishing a V.23 answer connection when the modem has been
instructed to report the DCE speed upon connection.

24- DELAYED

For X4, the modem returns this result code when a call fails to
connect and the number dialled is considered 'delayed' due to
country blacklisting requirements.

32- BLACKLISTED

For X4, the modem returns this result code when a call fails to
connect and the number dialled is considered 'blacklisted'.

33- FAX

The modem returns this result code when a fax modem connection
is established in a facsimile mode.

35- DATA

The modem returns this result code when a data modem connection
is established in a facsimile mode.

40- CARRIER 300

The modem returns this result code when either a V.21 or Bell
103 carrier has been detected on the line and carrier reporting
has been enabled. (See S95.)

44- CARRIER 1200/75

The modem sends this result code when the V.23 backward channel
carrier has been detected on the line and carrier reporting has
been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

45- CARRIER 75/1200

The modem sends this result code when the V.23 forward channel
carrier has been detected on the line and carrier reporting has
been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

46- CARRIER 1200

The modem sends this result code when either the high or low
channel carrier in either V.22 or Bell 212 mode has been
detected on the line and carrier reporting has been enabled.
(See S95 and X4.)

47- CARRIER 2400

The modem sends this result code when either the high or low
channel carrier in V.22 bis mode has been detected on the line,
and carrier reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

48- CARRIER 4800

The modem sends this result code when the 4800 bps data rate in
V.32 bis or V.32 mode has been detected on the line, and carrier
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

49- CARRIER 7200

The modem sends this result code when the 7200 bps data rate in
V.32 bis mode has been detected on the line, and carrier
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

50- CARRIER 9600

The modem sends this result code when the 9600 bps data rate in
V.32 bis or V.32 mode has been detected on the line, and carrier
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

51- CARRIER 12000

The modem sends this result code when the 12000 bps data rate in
V.32 bis mode has been detected on the line, and carrier
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

52- CARRIER 14400

The modem sends this result code when the 14400 bps data rate in
V.32 bis mode has been detected on the line, and carrier
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

66- COMPRESSION: CLASS 5

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected in
MNP Class 5 and COMPRESSION message reporting has been enabled.
(See S95 and X4.)

67- COMPRESSION: V.42 bis

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected in
V.42 bis and COMPRESSION message reporting has been enabled.
(See S95 and X4.)

69- COMPRESSION: NONE

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected
without data compression and COMPRESSION message reporting has
been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

70- PROTOCOL: NONE

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected
without any form of error correction, and the PROTOCOL message
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

77- PROTOCOL: LAPM

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected in
the V.42 LAPM mode of error correction, and PROTOCOL message
reporting has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

80- PROTOCOL: ALT

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected in
the MNP mode of error correction, and PROTOCOL message reporting
has been enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

81- PROTOCOL: ALT-CELLULAR

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has connected in
the MNP 10 mode, and PROTOCOL message reporting has been
enabled. (See S95 and X4.)

+FC- FCERROR

This message is sent to the DTE when the modem has detected an
error in fax class 1 or fax class 2 mode.

4.     S REGISTERS

The S registers are summarized in Table 4-1 along with their
default values. Registers denoted with an '*' in Table 4-1 may
be stored in one of the two user profiles by entering the &Wn
command. One of these profiles may be loaded at any time by
using the Zn command. Registers or register fields quoted as
"reserved" are reserved for current or future use by the
firmware, or are permanently overridden by PTT limitations. For
the latter, control of the equivalent functionality is available
with ConfigurACE Call Progress and Blacklisting options. 

All bit-mapped registers are read-only. The appropriate AT
command which controls the relevant bits in the S-register
should be used to change the value. 

4.1.    FACTORY DEFAULTS

The factory default values are stored in ROM and are loaded into
the active configuration at power up or by the ATZn command. In
addition, the designated default profile is subsequently loaded,
and may change some of the factory default values. The
designated default profile can be changed by entering the &Yn
command where n is one of the two possible user profiles.

The defaults shown are those used by Rockwell in factory
profiles zero and one. These may be overwritten by the OEM with
ConfigurACE prior to placing the firmware in PROM. Minimum and
maximum values may also be imposed by ConfigurACE in response to
country PTT requirements.

The default values shown in Table 4-1 may vary by modem firmware
configuration. Consult the MCU firmware release notes for exact
configuration.

All of the factory default values may be loaded at any time by
entering the &F command.

Table 4-1. S Register Summary

RegisterFunctionRangeUnitsSaveDefaultS0Rings to
Auto-Answer0-255rings*0 (US models)

2 (W-class models)S1Ring Counter0-255rings0S2Escape
Character0-255ASCII*43S3Carriage Return
Character0-127ASCII13S4Line Feed
Character0-127ASCII10S5Backspace Character0-255ASCII8S6Wait Time
for Dial Tone2-255s*2 (US models)

4 (W-class models)S7Wait Time for Carrier1-255s*50S8Pause Time
for Dial Delay Modifier0-255s*2S9Carrier Detect Response
Time1-2550.1 s*6S10 Carrier Loss Disconnect Time1-2550.1 s
*14S11DTMF Tone Duration50-2550.001 s*95S12Escape Code Guard
Time0-2550.02 s *50S13 Reserved---S14 General Bit Mapped
Options--*138 (8Ah)S15 Reserved---S16Test Mode Bit Mapped
Options (&T)--0S17Reserved---S18 Test Timer0-255s*0S19-S20
Reserved---S21V.24/General Bit Mapped Options--*4 (04h)S22
Speaker/Results Bit Mapped Options--*117 (75h)S23 General Bit
Mapped Options-*55 (37h) (US models)

183 (B7h) (W-class models)S24 Sleep Inactivity Timer0-255s*0S25
Delay to DTR Off0-255s or 0.01 s5S26 RTS-to-CTS Delay0-2550.01
s1S27 General Bit Mapped Options--*73 (49h) (US models with ECC)

74 (4Ah) (US models w/o ECC)

9 (09h) (W-class models )S28 General Bit-Mapped
Options--*0S29Flash Dial Modifier Time0-25510 ms0S30 Disconnect
Inactivity Timer0-25510 s0S31 General Bit-Mapped
Options--*2S32XON Character0-255ASCII17 (11h)S33XOFF
Character0-255ASCII19 (13h)S34-S35 Reserved---S36 LAPM Failure
Control--*7S37 Line Connection Speed--*0S38 Delay Before Forced
Hangup0-255s20S39 Flow Control--*3S40 General Bit-Mapped
Options--*105 (69h) (Non-MNP 10 models)

107(6Bh) (MNP 10 models)S41General Bit-Mapped Options--*3S42-S45
Reserved---S46Data Compression Control--*138S48 V.42 Negotiation
Control--*7Table 4-1. S Register Summary (Cont'd)

RegisterFunctionRangeUnitsSavedDefaultS80 Soft-Switch
Functions--0S82 LAPM Break Control--128(40h)S86 Call Failure
Reason Code0-255--S91 PSTN Transmit Attenuation
Level0-15dBm10S92Fax Transmit Attenuation Level0-15dBm10S95
Result Code Messages Control--*0S99Leased Line Transmit
Level0-15-dBm10S201Cellular Transmit Level0-63*58S202Remote
Access Escape Character0-255ASCII*170 * Register value may be
stored in one of two user profiles with the &W command.

4.2.    S REGISTER DEFINITIONS

S0 - Number of Rings to Auto-Answer

Sets the number of the rings required before the modem
automatically answers a call. Setting this register to zero
disables auto-answer mode.

Range:  0-255 rings

Default:        0 (US models)

2 (W-class models)

S1 - Ring Counter

S1 is incremented each time the modem detects a ring signal on
the telephone line. S1 is cleared if no rings occur over an
eight second interval.

Range:  0-255 rings

Default:        0

S2 - Escape Character

S2 holds the decimal value of the ASCII character used as the
escape character. The default value corresponds to an ASCII '+'.
A value over 127 disables the escape process, i.e., no escape
character will be recognized.

Range:  0-255, ASCII decimal

Default:        43 (+)

S3 - Carriage Return Character

Sets the command line and result code terminator character.
Pertains to asynchronous operation only. 

Range:  0-127, ASCII decimal

Default:        13 (Carriage Return)

S4 - Line Feed Character

Sets the character recognized as a line feed. Pertains to
asynchronous operation only. The Line Feed control character is
output after the Carriage Return control character if verbose
result codes are used

Range:  0-127, ASCII decimal

Default:        10 (Line Feed)

S5 - Backspace Character

Sets the character recognized as a backspace. Pertains to
asynchronous operation only. The modem will not recognize the
Backspace character if it is set to a value that is greater than
32 ASCII. This character can be used to edit a command line.
When the echo command is enabled, the modem echoes back to the
local DTE the Backspace character, an ASCII space character and
a second Backspace character; this means a total of three
characters are transmitted each time the modem processes the
Backspace character.

Range:  0-32, ASCII decimal

Default:        8 (Backspace)

S6 - Wait Time for Dial Tone Before Blind Dialing, or After "W"
Dial Modifier (W-Class Models) 

1.      Sets the length of time, in seconds, that the modem will wait
before starting to dial after going off-hook when blind dialing.
This operation, however, may be affected by some ATX options
according to country restrictions. The "Wait for Dial Tone" call
progress feature (W dial modifier in the dial string) will
override the value in register S6. 

2.      For W-class models, S6 sets the length of time, in seconds,
that the modem will wait for dial tone when encountering a "W"
dial modifier before continuing with the next dial string
parameter.

The modem always pauses for a minimum of 2 seconds, even if the
value of S6 is less than 2 seconds. 

Range:  2-255 seconds

Default:        2 (US models)

4 (W-Class models)

S7 - Wait Time For Carrier After Dial, For Silence, or For Dial
Tone After "W" Dial Modifier (US Models)

1.      Sets the length of time, in seconds, that the modem will wait
for carrier before hanging up. The timer is started when the
modem finishes dialing (originate), or 2 seconds after going
off-hook (answer). In originate mode, the timer is reset upon
detection of answer tone if allowed by country restrictions.

2.      Sets the length of time, in seconds, that modem will wait for
silence when encountering the @ dial modifier before continuing
with the next dial string parameter.

3.      For US models, S7 sets the length of time, in seconds, that
the modem will wait for dial tone when encountering a "W" dial
modifier before continuing with the next dial string parameter.

Range:  1-255 seconds

Default:        50

S8 - Pause Time For Dial Delay

Sets the time, in seconds, that the modem must pause when the
"," dial modifier is encountered in the dial string.

Range:  0-255 seconds

Default:        2

S9 - Carrier Detect Response Time

Sets the time, in tenths of a second, that the carrier must be
present before the modem considers it valid and turns on RLSD.
As this time is increased, there is less chance to detect a
false carrier due to noise from the telephone line.

Range:  1-255 tenths of a second

Default:        6 (0.6 second)

S10 - Lost Carrier To Hang Up Delay

Sets the length of time, in tenths of a second, that the modem
waits before hanging up after a loss of carrier. This allows for
a temporary carrier loss without causing the local modem to
disconnect. When register S10 is set to 255, the modem functions
as if a carrier is always present.

The actual interval the modem waits before disconnecting is the
value in register S10 minus the value in register S9. Therefore,
the S10 value must be greater than the S9 value or else the
modem disconnects before it recognizes the carrier.

Range:  1-255 tenths of a second

Default:        14 (1.4 seconds)

S11 - DTMF Tone Duration

Sets the duration of tones in DTMF dialing (US models only).
This value has no effect on pulse dialing.

For W-class models, this parameter is a country parameter loaded
by ConfigurACE.

Range:  50-255 milliseconds

Default:        95 (95 milliseconds)

S12 - Escape Code Guard Time

Defines the maximum period, in fiftieths of a second, allowed
between consecutive asynchronous escape characters (+) for the
escape sequence to be considered valid.

Range:  0-255 1/50 of a second

Default:        50 (1 second)

S13 - Reserved

S14 - General Bit Mapped Options

Indicates the status of command options. 

Default: 138 (8Ah) (10001010b)

Bit 0 - This bit is ignored. 

Bit 1 - Command echo (En)

0 =     Disabled (E0)

1 =     Enabled (E1) (Default.)

Bit 2 - Quiet mode (Qn)

0 =     Send result codes (Q0) (Default.)

1 =     Do not send result codes (Q1)

Bit 3 - Result codes (Vn)

0 =     Numeric (V0) 

1 =     Verbose (V1) (Default.)

Bit 4 - Reserved

Bit 5 - Tone (T)/Pulse (P)

0 =     Tone (T) (Default.)

1 =     Pulse (P)

Bit 6 - Reserved

Bit 7 - Originate/Answer

0 =     Answer

1 =     Originate (Default.)

S15 - Reserved

S16 - General Bit Mapped Test Options

Indicates the test in progress status. 

Default:        0

Bit 0 - Local analog loopback

0 =     Disabled (Default.)

1 =     Enabled (&T1)

Bit 1 - Not used

Bit 2 - Local digital loopback

0 =     Disabled (Default.)

1 =     Enabled (&T3)

Bit 3 - Remote digital loopback (RDL) status 

0 =     Modem not in RDL (Default.)

1 =     RDL in progress

Bit 4 - RDL requested (AT&T6)

0 =     RDL not requested (Default.)

1 =     RDL requested (&T6)

Bit 5 - RDL with self test

0 =     Disabled (Default.)

1 =     Enabled (&T7)

Bit 6 - Local analog loopback (LAL) with self test

0 =     Disabled (Default.)

1 =     Enabled (&T8)

Bit 7 - Not used

S17 - Reserved

S18 - Test Timer

Sets the length of time, in seconds, that the modem conducts a
test (commanded by &Tn) before returning to the command mode. If
this register value is zero, the test will not automatically
terminate; the test must be terminated from the command mode by
issuing an &T0 or H command. When S18 is non-zero, the modem
returns the OK message upon test termination.

Range:  0-255 seconds

Default:        0

S19 - AutoSync Registers

Defines the options for AutoSync operation (see &Q4 command).
S19 must be set to the desired value before &Q4 is issued.

Default:        0

Bit 0 - Reserved

Bit 1 - BSC/HDLC format select

0 =     BSC selected

1 =     HDLC selected

Bit 2 - Address detection enable/disable

0 =     DIsabled

1 =     Enabled

Bit 3 - NRZI/NZI coding select

0 =     NRZI

1 =     NZI

Bit 4 - Idle indicator select select

0 =     Mark idle

1 =     Flag or sync idle

Bit 5 - 7 -     Reserved

S20 - AutoSync HDLC Address or BSC Sync Character

Defines the HDLC address (S19 bit 1 = 1) or BSC Sync Character
(S19 bit 1 = 0) for AutoSync operation (see &Q4 command). S20
must be set to the desired value before &Q4 is issued.

Range:  0-255 

Default:        0

S21 - V.21/General Bit Mapped Options

Indicates the status of command options.

Default:        4 (00000100b)

Bit 0 - Set by &Jn command but ignored otherwise.

0 =     &J0 (Default.)

1 =     &J1

Bit 1 - Reserved

Bit 2 - CTS behavior (&Rn)

0 =     CTS always on (&R0) 

1 =     CTS tracks RTS (&R1) (Default.)

Bit 3,4 -       DTR behavior (&Dn)

0 =     &D0 selected (Default.)

1 =     &D1 selected

2 =     &D2 selected

3 =     &D3 selected

Bit 5 - RLSD (DCD) behavior (&Cn)

0 =     &C0 selected (Default.)

1 =     &C1 selected

Bit 6 - DSR behavior (&Sn)

0 =     &S0 selected (Default.)

1 =     &S1 selected

Bit 7 - Long space disconnect (Yn)

0 =     Y0 (Default.)

1 =     Y1

S22 - Speaker/Results Bit Mapped Options

Indicates the status of command options.

Default:        117 (75h) (01110101b)

Bit 0,1 -       Speaker volume (Ln)

0 =     Off (L0)

1 =     Low (L1) (Default.)

2 =     Medium (L2)

3 =     High (L3)

Bit 2,3 -       Speaker control (Mn)

0 =     Disabled (M0)

1 =     Off on carrier (M1) (Default.)

2 =     Always on (M2)

3 =     On during handshake (M3)

Bit 4,5,6 -     Limit result codes (Xn)

0 =     X0

4 =     X1

5 =     X2

6 =     X3

7 =     X4 (Default.)

Bit 7-  Reserved

S23 - General Bit Mapped Options

Indicates the status of command options.

Default:        55 (37h) (00110111b) (US models.)

183 (B7h) (10110111b) (W-class models.)

Bit 0-  Grant RDL

0 =     RDL not allowed (&T5)

1 =     RDL allowed (&T4) (Default.)

Bit 1,2,3 -     Assumed DTE Rate

0 =     0 - 300 bps

1 =     600 bps

2 =     1200 bps

3 =     2400 bps (Default.)

4 =     4800 bps

5 =     9600 bps

6 =     19200 bps

Bit 4,5 -       Assumed DTE parity 

0 =     even

1 =     not used

2 =     odd

3 =     none (Default.)

Bit 6,7 -       Guard tone (&Gn)

0 =     None (&G0) (Default for US models.)

1 =     None (&G1)

2 =     1800 Hz (&G2) (Default for W-class models.)

S24 - Sleep Inactivity Timer

Sets the length of time, in seconds, that the modem will operate
in normal mode with no detected telephone line or DTE line
activity before entering low-power sleep mode. The timer is
reset upon any DTE line or telephone line activity. If the S24
value is zero, neither DTE line nor telephone inactivity will
cause the modem to enter the sleep mode. 

Range:  0-255 seconds

Default:        0

S25 - Delay To DTR

Sets the length of time that the modem will ignore DTR for
before hanging up. Its units are seconds for synchronous modes
and one hundredths of a second for other modes.

Range:  0-255 (1 second for synchronous modes 1; 0.01 second
otherwise )

Default:        5

S26 - RTS to CTS Delay 

Sets the time delay, in hundredths of a second, before the modem
turns CTS ON after detecting an OFF-to-ON transition on RTS when
&R0 is commanded. Pertains to synchronous operation only. 

Range:  0-255 hundredths of a second

Default:        1

S27 - Bit Mapped Option

Indicates the status of command options.

Default:        73 (49h) (01001001b) (US models with ECC).

74 (4Ah) (01001010b) (US models without ECC).

9 (09h) (00001001b) (W-class models.)

Bit 0,1,3 -     Synchronous/asynchronous selection (&Mn/&Qn)

3       1       0       

0       0       0        =      &M0 or &Q0

0       0       1       =       &M1 or &Q1

0       1       0        =      &M2 or &Q2

0       1       1        =      &M3 or &Q3

1       0       0       =       &Q4

1       0       1        =      &Q5 (Default for ECC models.)

1       1       0        =      &Q6 (Default for non-ECC models.)

Bit 2 - Leased line control (&Ln)

0 =     Dial up line (&L0) (Default.)

1 =     Leased line (&L1)

Bit 4,5 -       Internal clock select (&Xn)

0 =     Internal clock (&X0) (Default.)

1 =     External clock (&X1)

2 =     Slave clock (&X2)

Bit 6 - CCITT/Bell mode select (Bn)

0 =     CCITT mode (B0) (Default for W-class models.)

1 =     Bell mode (B1) (Default for US models.)

Bit 7 - Reserved

S28 - Bit Mapped Options

Default:        0

Bit 0 - V.23 split screen (\Wn)

0 =     Disabled (\W0) (Default.)

1 =     Enabled (\W1)

Bit 1 - V.23 split screen direction 

0 =     75 Tx /1200 Rx (%F1) (Default.)

1 =     1200 Tx /75 Rx (%F2)

Bit 2 - Reserved (always 0).

Bit 3,4 -       Pulse dialing (&Pn)

0 =     39%-61% make/break ratio at 10 pulses per second (&P0)
(Default.)

1 =     33%-67% make/break ratio at 10 pulses per second (&P1)

2 =     39%-61% make/break ratio at 20 pulses per second (&P2)

3 =     33%-67% make/break ratio at 20 pulses per second (&P3)

Bit 5 - Reserved

Bit 6-7 -       MNP Link Negotiation Speed (*Hn)

0 =     Link negotiation at highest speed (*H0) (Default.)

1 =     Link negotiation at 1200 bps (*H1)

2=      Link negotiation at 4800 bps (*H2)

S29 - Flash Dial Modifier Time

Sets the length of time, in units of 10 ms, that the modem will
go oh-hook when it encounters the flash (!) dial modifier in the
dial string. The time can be limited as it is a country
dependent parameter.

Range:  0-255 10 ms intervals

Default:        0 (disabled)

S30 - Disconnect Inactivity Timer

Sets the length of time, in tens of seconds, that the modem will
stay online before disconnecting when no data is sent or
received. In error-correction mode, any data transmitted or
received will reset the timer. In other modes, any data
transmitted will reset the timer. The timer is inoperative in
synchronous mode. 

Range:  0-255 tens of seconds (0-2550 seconds)

Default:        0 (disabled)

S31 - Bit Mapped Options

Default:        2 (00000010b)

Bit 0 - Reserved

Bit 1 - Controls auto line speed detection (Nn) 

0 =     Disabled (N0)

1 =     Enabled (N1) (Default.)

Bit 2,3 -       Controls error correction progress messages (Wn)

0 =     DTE speed only (W0) (Default.)

1 =     Full reporting (W1)

2 =     DCE speed only (W2)

Bit 3 - Reserved

Bit 4-7 -       Reserved

S32 - XON Character

Sets the value of the XON character.

Range:  0-255 , ASCII decimal

Default:        17 (11h)

S33 - XOFF Character

Sets the value of the XOFF character.

Range:  0-255 , ASCII decimal

Default:        19 (13h)

S34-S35 - Reserved

S36 - LAPM Failure Control (Applies to ECC Models Only)

Default:        7 (00000111b)

Bit 0-2 -       This value indicates what should happen upon a LAPM
failure. These fallback options are initiated immediately upon
connection if S48=128. If an invalid number is entered, the
number is accepted into the register, but S36 will act as if the
default value has been entered.

0 =     Modem disconnects.

1 =     Modem stays on-line and a Direct mode connection is
established.

2 =     Reserved.

3 =     Modem stays on-line and a Normal mode connection is
established.

4 =     An MNP connection is attempted and if it fails, the modem
disconnects.

5 =     An MNP connection is attempted and if it fails, a Direct
mode connection is established.

6 =     Reserved.

7 =     An MNP connection is attempted and if it fails, a Normal
mode connection is established. (Default)

Bit 3-7 -       Reserved

S37 - Desired Line Connection Speed

Default:        0

Bit 0-3 -       Desired line connection speed. This is interlinked
with the Fn command. If an invalid number is entered, the number
is accepted into the register, but S37 will act as if the
default value has been entered.

0 =     Attempt auto mode connection (F0). (Default)

1-3 =   Attempt to connect at 300 bps (F1).

4 =     Reserved.

5 =     Attempt to connect at 1200 bps (F4).

6 =     Attempt to connect at 2400 bps (F5).

7 =     Attempt to connect at V.23 (F3).

8 =     Attempt to connect at 4800 bps (F6).

9 =     Attempt to connect at 9600 bps (F8).

10 =    Attempt to connect at 12000 bps (F9).

11 =    Attempt to connect at 14400 bps (F10).

12 =    Attempt to connect at 7200 bps (F7).

Bit 4-7 -       Reserved

S38 - Delay Before Forced Hang Up

This register specifies the delay between the modem's receipt of
the H command to disconnect (or ON-to-OFF transition of DTR if
the modem is programmed to follow the signal), and the
disconnect operation. Applicable to error-correction connection
only. This register can be used to ensure that data in the modem
buffer is sent before the modem disconnects.

1.      If S38 is set to a value between 0 and 254, the modem will
wait that number of seconds for the remote modem to acknowledge
all data in the modem buffer before disconnecting. If time
expires before all data is sent, the NO CARRIER result code will
be issued to indicate that data has been lost. If all data is
transmitted prior to time-out, the response to the H0 command
will be OK.

2.      If S38 is set to 255, the modem does not time-out and
continues to attempt to deliver data in the buffer until the
connection is lost or the data is delivered.

Range:  0-255 seconds

Default:        20

S39 - Flow Control

Default:        3 (00000011b)

Bits 0-2 -      Status of command options

0 =     No flow control 

3 =     RTS/CTS (&K3) (Default.)

4 =     XON/XOFF (&K4)

5 =     Transparent XON (&K5)

6 =     Both methods (&K6)

Bits 3-7 -      Reserved

S40 - General Bit Mapped Options

Indicates the status of command options.

Default:        105 (69h) (01101001b) 

Bit 0 - 1-       MNP Extended Services (-Kn) [High Speed]

0 =     Disable extended services (-K0) (Default for non-MNP 10
models.)

1 =     Enable extended services (-K1) (Default for MNP 10 models.)

2 =     Enable extended services (-K2)

Bit 0 -  MNP Extended Services (-Kn) [Low Speed]

0 =     Disable extended services (-K0) (Default for non-MNP 10
models.)

1 =     Enable extended services (-K1) (Default for MNP 10 models.)

Bit 1-  Enable fallback to V.22bis/V.22 (-Qn) [Low Speed]

0 =     Disabled (-Q0)

1 =     Enabled (-Q1) (Default.)

Bit 2-  Power Level Adjustment for Cellular Use ()Mn)

0 =     Auto-adjustment ()M0) (Default.)

1 =     Force adjustment ()M1)

Bits 3-5 -      Break Handling (\Kn)

0 =     \K0

1 =     \K1

2 =     \K2

3 =     \K3

4 =     \K4

5 =     \K5 (Default.)

Bits 6-7 -      MNP block size (\An)

0 =     64 chars (\A0)

1 =     128 chars (\A1) (Default.)

2 =     192 chars (\A2)

3 =     256 chars (\A3)

S41 - General Bit Mapped Options

Indicates the status of command options.

Default:        131 (10000011b)

Bits 0 -1 -     Compression selection (%Cn)

0 =     Disabled (%C0)

1 =     MNP 5 (%C1)

2 =     V.42 bis (%C2)

3 =     MNP 5 and V.42 bis (%C3) (Default.)

Bit 2, 6-       Auto retrain and Fallback/fall forward (%En)

	Bit 6   Bit 2

	0       0       =       Retrain and fallback/fall forward disabled (%E0)
(Default.)

	0       1       =       Retrain enabled (%E1)

	1       0       =       Fallback/fall forward enabled (%E2) (Not applicable to
RC96V24AC and RC14V24AC.)

Bit 3 - Modem-to-modem flow control

0 =     Disabled (\G0) (Default.)

1 =     Enabled (\G1)

Bit 4 - Block mode control (\Ln)

0 =     Stream mode (\L0) (Default.)

1 =     Block mode (\L1)

Bit 5 - Reserved

Bit 7 - Enable fallback to V.22bis/V.22 (-Qn) [High Speed]

0 =     Disabled (-Q0)

1 =     Enabled (-Q1) (Default.)

S46 - Data Compression Control

Controls selection of compression. The following actions are
executed for the given values:

Range:  136 or 138

Default:        138

S46=136 Execute error correction protocol with no compression.

S46=138 Execute error correction protocol with compression.
(Default.)

S48 - V.42 Negotiation Action

The V.42 negotiation process determines the capabilities of the
remote modem. However, when the capabilities of the remote modem
are known and negotiation is unnecessary, this process can be
bypassed if so desired.

Range:  0, 7, or 128 If an invalid number is entered, it is
accepted into the S register, but S48 will act as if 128 has
been entered.

Default:        7

S48=0   Disable negotiation; bypass the detection and negotiation
phases; and proceed with LAPM.

S48=7   Enable negotiation. (Default.)

S48=128         Disable negotiation; bypass the detection and
negotiation phases; and proceed at once with the fallback action
specified in S36. Can be used to force MNP.

S80 - Soft-Switch Functions

S80 is applicable only if the EPROM has been so customized by
ConfigurACE. S80 bits are the "soft" equivalent of four hardware
input signals. The hardware signal is indicated corresponding to
each bit.

Default:        0

Bits 0-4 -      Reserved

Bit 5 - V.25 bis/AT command mode select (AT/V25B signal)

0 =     AT selected

1 =     V.25 bis selected

Bit 6 - Remote configuration permitted (REMCONF signal)

0 =     Remote configuration not permitted

1 =     Remote configuration permitted

Bit 7 - Call back security enforcement (SECACC signal)

0 =     Call back security disabled

1 =     Call back security enabled

S82 - Break Handling Options

Break signals provide a way for the user to get the attention of
the remote modem. The break type depends on the specific
application. LAPM specifies three methods of break signal
handling: in sequence, expedited, and destructive. If an invalid
number is entered, it is accepted into the S register, but S82
will act as if the default value has been entered.

Range:  3, 7, or 128

Default:        128

S82=3   Expedited: Modem sends a break immediately; data integrity
is maintained both ahead of and after the break.

S82=7   Destructive: Modem sends a break immediately; data being
processed by each modem at the time of the break is destroyed.

S82=128 In sequence: Modem sends a break in sequence with any
transmitted data; data integrity is maintained both ahead of and
after the break. (Default.)

S86 - Call Failure Reason Code

When the modem issues a NO CARRIER result code, a value is
written to this S register to help determine the reason for the
failed connection. S86 records the first event that contributes
to a NO CARRIER message. The cause codes are:

Range:  0, 4, 5, 9, 12, 13, or 14

Default:        -

S86=0   Normal disconnect, no error occurred.

S86=4   Loss of carrier.

S86=5   V.42 negotiation failed to detect an error-correction
modem at the other end.

S86=6   No response to feature negotiation.

S86=7   This modem is asynchronous only; the other modem is
synchronous only.

S86=8   No framing technique in common.

S86=9   The modems could not find a common protocol.

S86=10  Bad response to feature negotiation.

S86=11  No sync information from remote modem.

S86=12  Normal disconnect initiated by the remote modem.

S86=13  Remote modem does not respond after 10 re-transmissions
of the same message.

S86=14  Protocol violation.

S91 - PSTN Transmit Attenuation Level

Sets the transmit attenuation level from 0 to 15 dBm for the
PSTN mode, resulting in a transmit level from 0 to -15 dBm, In
some countries, the transmit level may not be changed and there
are checks to prevent transmit attenuation level change using
ConfigurACE.

Range:  0 to 15 dBm (Corresponding to 0 to -15 dBm transmit
level.)

Default:        10 (-10 dBm transmit level.)

S92 - Fax Transmit Attenuation Level

Sets the transmit attenuation level from 0 to 15 dBm for the fax
mode, resulting in a transmit level from 0 to -15 dBm. In some
countries, the transmit level may not be changed and there are
checks to prevent transmit attenuation level change using
ConfigurACE. 

Range:  0 to 15 dBm (Corresponding to 0 to -15 dBm transmit
level.)

Default:        10 (-10 dBm transmit level.)

S95 - Extended Result Codes

The bits in this register can be set to override some of the Wn
command options. A bit set to a 1 in this register will enable
the corresponding result code regardless of the Wn setting.
Also, refer to Table 3-1. 

Default:        0

Bit 0 = CONNECT result code indicates DCE speed instead of DTE
speed.

Bit 1=  Append/ARQ to CONNECT XXXX result code in
error-correction mode (XXXX = rate; see Table 3_1).

Bit 2 = Enable CARRIER XXXX result code (XXXX = rate; see Table
3-1).

Bit 3 = Enable PROTOCOL XXXX result code (XXXX = protocol
identifier; see Table 3-1).

Bit 4 = Reserved.

Bit 5 = Enable COMPRESSION result code (XXXX = compression type;
see Table 3-1).

Bit 6 = Reserved.

Bit 7 = Reserved.

S99 - Leased Line Transmit Level

Sets the transmit level, in dBm, for the leased line mode. In
some countries this cannot be changed and there are checks to
prevent transmit level change.

Range:  0 to -15 dBm 

Default:        10

S201 - Cellular Transmit Level

The bits in this register can be set to override some of the Wn
command options. A bit set to a 1 in this register will enable
the corresponding result code regardless of the Wn setting.
Also, refer to Table 3-1. 

Default:        0

Bits 0 - 4 =    Initial Cellular Power Level Setting (@Mn)

Bit 5 = Compromise Equalizer Enable Command (:En)

Bit 6 = Reserved.

Bit 7 = Reserved.

S202 - Remote Access Escape Character

S202 holds the decimal value of the ASCII character used as the
escape character in the escape sequence from on-line to Remote
Access. S202 works similar to S2 except that the S2 escape
character is used in the escape sequence from on-line to the
command mode.

Range:  0-255, ASCII decimal

Default:        170 (Escape disabled)

A value over 127 disables the escape process, i.e., no escape
character will be recognized. The default S202 value of 170
disables the escape process to Remote Access (whereas the
default S2 value enables escape to command mode). If 128 is
subtracted from 170 (i.e., bit 7 is reset), the resulting 42 is
the ASCII code for the '*' character. The '*' character is
commonly used for the Remote Access escape character.

The Remote Access escape sequence consists of four characters
with a fixed escape guard time of 1 second. Only the character
selected by S202 is valid. When '*' is used for the escape
character, the escape sequence is '****'.

The Remote Access escape sequence works when the modems are
connected in any mode (normal, LAPM or MNP) except direct mode.
The modem on which the remote commands are typed (the "local
modem") does not need any special code associated with the
remote configuration. The "remote modem" (whose configuration
will be modified remotely) must have Remote Configuration Mode
(RCM) enabled (bit 2 of S80).

The escape sequence entered by the user on the local modem is
recognized by the remote modem, which then sends a message to
the local mode prompting for entry of the "remote password".
From then on, operation is similar to RCM except for slight
differences of presentation. The remote modem will send a ">"
prompt before each AT command. The user must type the AT prefix
before the command(s), which is not required by RCM. Several
commands on the same line can be accepted.

Some potentially hazardous AT commands are barred in Remote
Access: ATO, ATZ, AT&T, AT\B, AT*C, AT*L, AT*P, and ATZ. (Note
that ATA and ATD are automatically barred because the modem is
already connected.)

To exit Remote Access, enter command AT*X. Upon exiting Remote
Access, the normal data link is re-established and the "CONNECT"
message is issued to the DTE. (Note that in RCM, exit is to the
command mode, but actually, in both cases, return is to the
previous state before entering Remote Access/RCM). AT*R and AT*E
commands also operate the same as in RCM. 

Remote Access can be exited by typing a remote ATH command. The
connection will be terminated and a "NO CARRIER" response will
be issued from the local modem to the DTE since the hangup was
actually performed by the remote modem.

5.     V.25 BIS COMMAND SET

Modem operation may be controlled through the use of the V.25
bis command set. This is implemented by command, response, and
circuit signalling providing addressed call and/or answer via
circuit 108/2 in accordance with V.25 bis. V.25 bis is a CCITT
recommendation that defines a method of exchanging commands and
indications across a DTE interface (EIA-232/V.24). V.25 bis
defines modem behavior only while the modem is disconnected from
the line, or while the modem is off-hook and is attempting to
establish a connection. The following terms are used in the V.25
bis description.

COMMAND:        An instruction issued by the DTE to the modem as part
of the automatic calling procedure.

INDICATION:     A response message issued by the modem to the DTE as
part of the automatic calling procedure.

PARAMETER:      A variable which may accompany commands or
indications. In general, more than one parameter may be used in
a command or indication.

5.1.    DTE/DCE INTERCHANGE CIRCUITS

Communication between the DTE and modem is half duplex.

The DTE is the 'master' and the modem is the 'slave'. Only the
DTE initiates V.25 bis communications, while the modem just
responds.

When the modem is in data transfer mode after the connection has
been established, the modem is no longer in V.25 bis mode. 

During automatic calling and answering procedures, RLSD (CT109)
follows the condition of RTS (CT106).

5.2.    FORMATS FOR COMMANDS AND INDICATIONS

The modem will accept commands either in synchronous mode HDLC
(NRZ or NRZI) , BSC, or in asynchronous mode. The command set
conforms to the CCITT recommendation with two extensions for
asynchronous mode. 

5.2.1.  Synchronous Signalling

The modem can automatically detect and switch from HDLC framing
to BSC framing.

HDLC Frames

HDLC frames, commands, and indications are HDLC frames with data
fields called messages.

FLAG    7Eh

ADDRESS FFh

CONTROL 13h

MESSAGE Data. Must be an integer number of 8-bit characters
between 3 and 60.

FCS     Sixteen-bit cyclic redundancy check based on the polynomial:
X16 + X12 + X5 + X1 

Framing Rules

Frames may be preceded and followed by any data including
additional flags.

A frame with an address, control, or FCS field error is invalid.
A frame with more than 60 characters in the message field is
invalid. A frame with 3 or less characters in the message field
is rejected with the INV indication.

Invalid frames are ignored.

For every valid command frame received, the modem responds with
exactly one indication if the connection is not completed, and
no indication if the connection is completed.

When the modem receives a valid command frame, it will ignore
another command frame until it has completed sending its
indication back to the attached DTE, or until the connection is
terminated, whichever occurs last.

The modem can accept a valid command frame that follows an
invalid frame if there is a pause of at least 2 bit times
between the end of the invalid frame and the start of the valid
frame.

The modem automatically detects whether each command frame is
NRZ or NRZI encoded and follows suit for its indication.

Command and indication frames contain inserted zero bits as
required by HDLC. The receiving entity (modem or DTE) strips out
these extra bits.

BSC Frames

The format for synchronous character oriented format shall be in
accordance with ISO 1745.

SYN     16h 

SYN     16h

STX     02h 

MESSAGE Data. Must be an integer number of 8-bit characters
between 3 and 60. 

ETX     83h 

Framing Rules

Frames may be preceded and followed by any data including
additional SYN characters.

A frame with a parity error is invalid. A frame with more than
60 characters in the message field is invalid. A frame with 3 or
less characters in the message field is invalid. An invalid
frame will be rejected with the INV indication.

For every valid command frame received, the modem responds with
exactly one indication if the connection is not completed, and
no indication if the connection is completed. The modem does not
recognize or send any of the short 'ack' type messages used in
character oriented protocols.

When the modem receives a valid command frame, it will ignore
another command frame until it has completed sending its
indication back to the attached DTE, or until the connection is
terminated, whichever occurs last.

The modem can accept a valid command frame that follows an
invalid frame if there is a pause of at least 2-bit times
between the end of the invalid frame and the start of the valid
frame.

5.2.2.  Asynchronous Signalling

The format for the asynchronous character oriented format is:

MESSAGE <CR> <LF>

The default data rate for commands and parameters is the maximum
data rate permitted by the modem.

The message field can contain between 3 and 60 8-bit characters
(7-bit IA5 per T.50 plus odd parity per V.4) which define the
parameters. Each frame can contain only one command followed by
multiple parameters as will fill the limit.

Command/Indication Exchange Protocol

The modem will ignore any command issued with incorrect parity.
The modem will ignore a command issued from the DTE before it
has completed execution of the previous command and given an
appropriate response. The modem will ignore a command from the
DTE while it is sending an indication to the DTE. 

A command received with a message field of less than 3
characters or more than 60 characters is regarded as an error in
the message and will result in the negative acknowledgment of
the command by the return of the invalid message (INV).

DTE Adaption

In asynchronous mode, the modem performs an
autobaud/autoparity/autolength function on the first characters
received following a Power-On Reset or <cntl> Z. If the modem
receives a <CR> <LF> sequence, it is able to calculate the
speed, parity, and the word length. If the modem receives only a
<CR> character, it will calculate the speed but retain the
existing parity and word length values. If the modem receives
neither of these characters, it will continue to use the
existing values for speed, parity, and word length. If no
previous speed, parity, and/or length information is available,
the modem defaults to 7-bit even operation at 9600 bps. The
autolength/autoparity facility is capable of detection of 7- or
8-bit characters of even, odd, or no parity with one stop bit.
The modem then accepts and sends characters according to this
selection of speed, parity, and length. The adaption algorithm
is re-initialized by the next OFF-to-ON transition of CT108/2.

In HDLC mode, the modem detects when DTE sends in NRZ or NRZI
format, and adjusts its indication format accordingly. 

5.2.3.  V.25 bis Escape Code Sequence

An escape sequence function for V.25 bis asynchronous operation
is provided which operates exactly like the AT escape sequence.
(See Section 3.1.)

5.3.    STANDARD V.25 BIS COMMANDS

The following commands are implemented, and parameters
applicable to each command are noted following the description
of the command.

CIC - Connect Incoming Call

The modem goes on-line in answer mode cancelling any DIC command
previously issued. If no incoming call is present, the modem
issues the invalid (INV) message.

CRI - Call Request with Number and Identification

The modem goes on-line, dials according to the dial string
entered, and attempts to establish a connection in the same
manner as the CRN command except a ";" character and an
identification character string can be inserted after the dial
string. However, everything after the ";" character is ignored,
i.e., the identification is not sent. 

x..x    Dial string: a string of dial characters (see CRN).

;       Separator: inserted between dial string and identification.

Example:

CRN 234-1234;4567

VAL

CRN - Call Request with Number

The modem goes on-line, dials according to the dial string
entered, and attempts to establish a connection. The following
dial modifiers are valid:

0-9     Digits 0 to 9.

*       The 'star' digit: Tone dialling only.

#       The 'gate' digit: Tone dialling only.

T       Select tone dialling: Affects current and subsequent dialling.

P       Select pulse dialling: Affects current and subsequent dialling.

<       Short dial pause: Period controlled by S8: The modem will
pause before dialling the digits following "<."

=       Long dial pause: Period twice as long as the short dial pause. 

:       Wait for dial tone: The modem will wait for dial tone before
dialling the digits following ":".

&       Flash: The modem will go off-line according to the value of
S30.

^       Disable calling tone transmission: Applicable to current dial
attempt only.

Example:

CRN 234-1234

VAL

CRS - Call Request with Memory Address

The modem goes on-line, dials according to the dial string
entered in the dial string memory addressed (see PRN), and
attempts to establish a connection.

0-19    Dial string memory address.

Example:

CRS 1 or CRS1

345-5678

VAL

DIC - Disregard Incoming Call

The modem, though configured for auto-answer, will disregard the
incoming call. If there is no incoming call or auto-answer is
not enabled, the modem will issue the INV message.

PRI - Program Identification

The modem returns VAL indication only.

PRN - Program Number

The modem stores the dial string specified into the dial string
memory referenced.

0-19    Dial string memory address.

;       Separator: Inserted between dial string memory address and
dial string.

x..x    Dial string: A string of dial characters: 0-9 * # T P = &:
/: characters accepted: An empty string clears the
identification memory referenced.

Example:

PRN 1;345-5678

VAL

RLD - List Request of Delayed Call Numbers

The modem returns the list of numbers which have been delayed by
country dependent blacklisting procedures. 

Example:

NO.  - PHONE NUMBER - DELAY

----- ----------------------

LSD 1;   7503857609     2

LSD 2;   1349579050     1

LSD 3;   4146949385     1

LSD 4;   3479784564     3

LSD 5;   5529685740     1

VAL

RLF - List Request of Forbidden Numbers

The modem returns the list of numbers which have been
blacklisted by country dependent blacklisting procedures.

Example:

NO.  - PHONE NUMBER

----- ----------------------

LSF 1; 6209567485

LSF 2; 4227458945

LSF 3; 2137874644

LSF 4; 5256677014

LSF 5; 0114418172323

LSF 6; 7228309

VAL

RLI - List Request of Identification Numbers

The modem returns the VAL message only.

Example:

LSI 1; 8183400

VAL

RLN - List Request of Stored Numbers (Dial Strings)

The modem returns the dial string or the list of dial strings
according to the parameter supplied.

0-19    Dial string memory address: If no address is supplied, a
full list of all stored dial strings will be returned.

Examples:

LSN 4; 19:1=722340      Response to RLN4

VAL

LSN 0;  Response to RLN

LSN 1;

LSN 2;

LSN 3;19:1=7223400

LSN 4;

LSN 5;

LSN 6;

LSN 7;

LSN 8;93256642

LSN 9;

LSN10;

LSN11;

LSN12;

LSN13;

LSN14;

LSN15;

LSN16;

LSN17;

LSN18;

LSN19;

LSN20;

VAL

5.4.    EXTENDED V.25 BIS COMMANDS

There is one extension to the standard V.25 bis command set.

CNL - Local Configuration

Any AT command string may be entered as a parameter of this
command. This command is valid only in asynchronous mode. The
format is:

CNL<AT command>

Example:

CNLS0=2

5.5.   STANDARD V.25 BIS INDICATIONS

The modem provides the indications/responses listed, and
parameters applicable to each message are noted following the
description of the response.

CFI - Call Failure Indication

The modem sends this message when a call fails to connect. A
parameter is included to give the reason for the failure.

AB      No dial tone or the call abort timer expired with no call
progress tone detected or during handshaking after answer tone
detected.

CB      Local circuit busy (phone off-hook).

ET      Busy (engaged tone) detected.

FC      Requested number on forbidden call list (call not placed).

NS      No number stored at dial string memory requested (call not
placed).

NT      Ringback detected: Ringback stopped: Call abort timer expired
with no answer tone detected.

RT      Ringback detected: Call abort timer expired with ringback
still detected.

CNX - Connect

The modem returns this message when a connection has been
established. The message may be followed by a value indicating
the connection speed.

Example:

CNX 9600

DLC - Delayed Call

The modem returns this message when a call fails to connect and
the number dialled is considered 'delayed'. The message
indicates the delay (in minutes) before the call may be
re-attempted as shown in the following example:

DLCn    (n = delay in minutes)

This message will be preceded by the message indicating call
failure.

INC - Incoming Call

The modem sends this message when incoming ringing is detected
on the line.

INV - Invalid Command

The modem sends this message if the command line contains a
syntax error, or if the modem is unable to execute the command.

VAL - Valid Command

The modem sends this message when it successfully executes the
command issued and there is no other applicable response
(message or circuit transition).