

Article 34880 of comp.sys.mac:
From: [email-masked] (Mark Bryant)
Subject: Mac-II with intermittant/now dead 40 Meg
Date: 11 May 89 12:24:00 GMT
Organization: FidoNet node 1:382/54 - The Bull Creek BBS, Austin TX

>I am looking at a Mac II with a 40 Meg Quantum which was playing "hard
>to get" first and now doesn't want to be found at all anymore.  The
>green drive light blinks briefly at power up and when booting from
>floppy and when running Apple HD SC Setup (which kind find a SCSI-device
>on the bus).
        
How old is that drive?  If it dates from mid-'87, the following may be
relevant:
        
In the October, 1987, technical procedures documentation distributed by
Apple, internal 40MB hard drives whose serial numbers are in the range
87105-xxxxx thru 87168-xxxxx are said to possibly be defective in the
boot-up process.  If you have an internal hd-40 with a s/n in the given
range, and it is having trouble booting, you should be able to take it
into your authorized Apple dealer and have it replaced.  If you have
trouble, have the service department look at their 10/87 technical
procedures.  The DOA code the dealers are supposed to use is 2EV732.

--  
Mark Bryant  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Mark.Bryant