Subject: Re: are quantum (Apple) disks bad news?

From: ucbvax!unisoft!john (John Sovereign)
Date: Wed, 10 May 89 20:57:09 PDT

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>
>I have heard a lot of bad things about the Apple supplied hard disks
>(quantum I believe).  As a person about to purchase a system, this
>bothers me.
>
>Do quantum drives suck?  

Have had very good experience with the Quantum 80 MB drives over the
last three years; I doubt the 40's are really any different....

>Todd Heberlein
>[email-masked]	128.120.57.26
>[email-masked]	128.120.57.20

John Sovereign
uunet!unisoft!john

---

From: [email-masked] (John P. Healy)
Date: Fri, 12 May 89 19:06:53 PDT

> Should I buy someone elses hard disk for my system (SE/30 with HD 40)?

Actually my own personal experience (at both work and home) and info off
netland and reviews in industry mag's indicate that the Quantum mechanism
is one of the best (if not currently the best) on the market.

The major differences I've found is that Quantum drives are less expensive
 from a third party than from Apple. Some also use cache so they're faster
(my experience with LaCie's & Apple's).