Third-Party Utilities to Enhance Accessibility
A wide variety of third-party hardware and software products are available to make it easier to use personal computers. Among the different types of products available for the MS-DOS, Windows, and Windows NT operating systems are:
- Programs that enlarge or alter the color of information on the screen for people with visual impairments.
- Programs that describe information on the screen in Braille or synthesized speech for people who are blind or have difficulty reading.
- Hardware and software utilities that modify the behavior of the mouse and keyboard.
- Programs that enable people to "type" using a mouse or their voice.
- Word or phrase prediction software that enables people to type more quickly and with fewer keystrokes.
- Alternate input devices, such as single switch or puff-and-sip devices, for people who cannot use a mouse or a keyboard.
To learn more about these products, see "Getting More Accessibility Information" below.