5-22-94 USRSTATS Version 2.34 BETA ========================== PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THIS IS A BETA VERSION OF THIS SOFTWARE. --------------------------------------------------------- To install this update, simply copy the .EXE and .PPE files over the old versions, and read the following "New features" section. --------------------------------------------------------- *****NEW IN VERSION 2.34***** This really is the LAST Beta of V2.x! This version adds several new features to command-line mode. BBS operation is not changed. Command Syntax of the new version is: USRSTAT2 [] [/A] [/H] ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ No spaces after H! ^ For Append mode Here's the details on the new options. New feature #1: IF the I4 data is present in the input file AND you do not pass a caller number (meaning its not in "BBS mode") THEN the "Caller:" field in the report will be replaced with the Last Dialed Number as extracted from the I4 screen. OTHERWISE it's the same as before. ("BBS mode" is not changed at all.) This way, the report will contain the number you dialed to make the connection in the first place. Simplifies record-keeping. New feature #2: IF a /H parameter is specified AND you do not pass a caller number (meaning its not in "BBS mode") THEN Whatever text you supply after the /H (and NO SPACES AFTER THE "H" PLEASE) will be written to the top of the report. Assuming a command line like this: USRSTAT2 test.in test.out /HCall the Majestik Moose You'll get an output report that looks like this on the top line: Connection Summary: CALL THE MAJESTIK MOOSE ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ OTHERWISE it's the same as before. ("BBS mode" is not changed at all.) The idea is that you use a macro in your comm program to do all of this, and you pass the BBS name you are currently calling via the /H option. Then, the report will have the BBS name stuck right there on the top line, simplifying your record-keeping even further. This complements New Feature #1, explained above. New Feature #3: IF the /A option is present on the command line, the will be opened in APPEND mode, rather than OVERWRITE mode. This allows you to keep a huge "rolling" record of all your reports in one file. New feature #4: If it is NOT a V.FC connection, the Transmit Level will be replaced with ?? and the Line Probe info will be blanked out. The modem doesn't report valid data for those items except under V.FC. It does appear that the Receive Level is correct, so that is left alone. *****NEW IN VERSION 2.33***** USRSTATS is not just for Sysops any more! This version now supports operation from the DOS command line, to allow all users the ability to generate stand-alone report files similar to the one seen in on-line mode. Use the capture buffer function in your comm software to create a file containing the output of the I6, I7, I11, Y11, and (optionally) I4 commands while in online command mode. You get into online command mode by issuing the +++ escape sequence, and you must have DIP switch 9 DOWN. After issuing the commands, close the capture buffer and return to data mode with an ATO command. After you've captured the data, feed it into the USRSTAT2.EXE program in the following manner: USRSTAT2 Where inputfile is the name of the buffer capture you created in the above step, and outputfile is any filename you choose. If the output file already exists, it will be overwritten, unless the /A option is used. The output file will then contain your report, ready for viewing, editing, or whatever it is you want to do with it. Note to DOOR software authors: With this release, and the new command-line operation, I suspect that some USRSTATS "clones" will begin appearing, making use of the command line mode. Here's a little tip for you: Call the USRSTAT2.EXE program with the added parameter shown below: USRSTAT2 The inclusion of the callernumber parameter will then be noted in the report. One other thing, if you're going to write a clone of USRSTATS for your favorite BBS package, please be kind enough to give me credit where due, and also upload a copy of your completed product to The Majestik Moose BBS at 708-843-2871. If you plan on charging a registration fee for your version of the software, you must have my written authorization first. This is copyrighted software. ****NEW IN VERSION 2.31**** In the lower left corner of the report, you will now see the Line Probe information for V.FC connections. This is a table of frequency points, and the signal level at those points. This response curve influences the modem's selection of carrier frequency and symbol rates, which in turn affect the overall connect rate. The levels are referenced from zero, so larger numbers mean a LOWER signal level. The config file now has a new field labeled NODE_LOCKOUT. This field allows control over which nodes of the system the PPE will function on. As an example, if you had a USR modem on node 1, and a Hayes on node 2, you would want to disable the program from running on node 2 by using a NODE_LOCKOUT=2 in the config file. (You could get the same effect by using *node*-specific CMD.LST files in the PCBoard setup, but I suppose it *is* easier to just set it up here in our config file.) Setting NODE_LOCKOUT=256 will allow the program to be used on all nodes, and is the default. The USRSTATS.CFG file *MUST* be edited to include this new field, or the program will complain! The PREEMPHASIS field has been changed from a level to an index, after discussion with engineers that know about these things. The value reported is an index with a value of 0 to 15. Each value represents a specific preemphasis value, but it's not a linear relationship. Suffice it to say that larger values indicate greater preemphasis levels. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * What is it? It's an add-on for PCBoard 15.1 or later. It consists of a PPL program and a small program written in QuickBasic 4.5. The PPE is installed in PCBoard's CMD.LST file, and effectively becomes a new command available from the PCBoard menu prompt. Operation is fully seamless. It also functions in standalone mode, from the DOS command prompt. This allows non-sysops the same powerful reporting capabilities. What does it do? It allows your callers to dynamically view the *BBS MODEM'S* Link Diagnostics information at any time while on-line, or their own information while off-line. Why would I want to do that? It is mainly intended as a troubleshooting tool. The information contained in the Link Diagnostics of the USR modems can reveal important information to trained service technicians. Until now, your callers have never been able to view this information from *YOUR END* of the connection, only from their own end. Also, there are MANY modems out there that do not report this information in any way, leaving the caller completely in the dark when it came to poor connections. Now, both of those problems are solved. At this point, I am not going to discuss the technical details of this information, and will instead refer you to your copy of the Owner's Manual, or to the bookstore to buy some books on basic Data Communications testing and troubleshooting. How does it work? The PPE program forces the modem (which must be specially configured, see below for details) into on-line command mode, retrieves the Link Diagnostics info, and passes it to the QB program. The QB program translates the info into a useable format, and generates a display file. Control passes back to the PPE program, which displays the file, and performs any other needed actions (like message capture) before returning control back to PCBoard. What does it work with? The PPE works ONLY with PCBoard version 15.1 or later. The PPE was compiled with version 2.00 of the compiler, so it won't work under PCB 15.0, sorry. The EXE program should work with anything. At this time there are no plans for versions for other BBS packages. It works ONLY with the small-footprint models of the US Robotics Courier modems. (These are the ones that support 57.6K or higher on the serial port.) It won't work with the older, larger models because they do not support the &D1 command. Note: Further testing has shown that the program works well with the USR ComServer 386 and ComServer 486. It *IS* multi-node aware, and has been tested running under DesqView and Netware on a multi-node commercial BBS, and running single node under DesqView and Lantastic. How do I install it? FOR COMMAND-LINE USE, SKIP TO THE NEXT SECTION! PCBoard installation: Installation is very simple. No special steps are needed for multi- node operation. First, create a directory or subdirectory of your choice. The program requires read/write access to the directory it is installed in, to allow creation of temporary files during execution. Copy USRSTATS.PPE and USRSTAT2.EXE into that directory. Now, go into PCBSETUP and modify the CMD.LST files for the Main Board and/or any conferences that you wish to be able to call the program from. Edit the CMD.LST file, entering the command name you wish to use to call the program, and full path and filename of USRSTATS.PPE. After saving the new CMD.LST files, we need to edit the modem init string. The normal init string for PCBoard is "ATZ" which simply resets the modem. The standard modem setting of &D2 allows PCBoard to hang up by simply dropping the DTR lead on the serial port. For this program to work, we need to have the modem running with &D1 instead of &D2. &D1 forces the modem to go into on-line command mode WITHOUT dropping the connection whenever the DTR lead is dropped. Now, here are the 2 problems: The USR Courier modems do NOT store the &D setting in NVRAM, they rely on the dip switches to set the value of &D. The switch allows setting &D to a value of 0 or 2, but *NOT* 1, which is what we need. So, we need to be creative with the modem init string to get it into the state we want. The second problem is more troublesome, as there's no good work-around for it. When the modem is running with &D1, it can't be forced to drop the connection simply by dropping DTR, it must also be sent an ATH or ATZ command. *************** THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE FOR YOU, DEPENDING ON ANY DOORS OR OTHER SOFTWARE YOU MAY BE RUNNING. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN IN DETERMINING WHETHER THIS WILL CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS FOR YOUR SETUP. *************** Remember, PCBoard only drops DTR, it doesn't send any commands to hang up and can't be configured to do so. But, we can be clever and let the modem INIT string force the hang-up, so that the modem DOES go back on-hook during the reset cycle. (It just takes a little longer to drop the caller.) The trick that makes this work is that the Courier modem drops any active connection when given an ATZ command. If you've followed this up till now, and haven't been scared off, edit your init string to read: ATZ^M~~~AT&D1 (Of course, this assumes the modem has all the correct settings already in NVRAM.) This simply sends the standard ATZ followed by a carriage return (the ^M), then pauses 1.5 seconds (the ~~~), and then sends the &D1 command. PCboard adds the final carriage return for you automatically, so no ^M is needed at the end of the line. Please note that this causes/requires *NO* permanent re-configuring of your modem. The only thing changing is the PCB setup. The last step is setting up the configuration file. This file MUST be located in the same directory as the PPE file, and it MUST be named USRSTATS.CFG. A sample file named USRSTATS.DEF is supplied in the distribution archive, or the program will create another one for you if no config file is found. All documentation for the fields in the config file, and the program options, are contained as comments with the sample config file itself, so I will refer you to that for more info. Edit and save a USRSTATS.CFG file, setting the options as desired for your system. That's it, installation is complete. Now, when your callers enter the new command you have defined, the BBS will chug and puff for a few seconds, then display a nicely formatted screen of modem status info. Please note that it doesn't work in local mode, there has to be a real live modem connection. (I hope that would be obvious.) FOR COMMAND-LINE MODE USE: Simply copy the USRSTAT2.EXE program into the directory of your choice, preferably your "Utilities" directory or other directory in the system Path, and read the instructions in the "What's New" section of this document. That's it! (Oh, and make sure your modem has DIP switch #9 DOWN. What about support? Call The Majestik Moose BBS at 708-843-2871 and leave a message for the SYSOP. I'll help you if I can, but I make no promises. My time is very limited. DO NOT call and ask for explanations of the technical information. Go buy a book and learn it, you'll be glad you did. Do NOT call and ask questions that are already answered in the docs. You will find me somewhat unpleasant under those circumstances. Please DO report any bugs or suggestions. The latest version of this program is always available as a free download in the Main Board area. It is also available (and running) on the USRobotics BBS at 708-982-5092. At the present time, there is no registration required for this software. If you really want to pay me a few bucks for the many hours of effort that went into this, I'll be glad to take it from you. Call The Majestik Moose and leave a (C)omment. Standard Disclaimer: This is a BETA version of this software. It has undergone only limited testing. Use at your own risk. It works fine for me. All product names are trademarks of their respective companies. This software is NOT a product of USRobotics, Inc. ================================================================ Joseph C. Frankiewicz The Majestik Moose BBS 708-843-2871 ================================================================= History: Versions 1.00 - 2.10: Internal use only, not released V 2.11, 4/16/94: First public Beta release. V 2.12, 4/22/94: Fixed missing SV/DSP dates in USRSTAT2, experiment with modem delays in USRSTATS to try to prevent it from happening in the first place. V 2.20, 4/28/94: Added external configuration file. Improved error detection and handling within USRSTATS. Activated option to allow user to make messages R/O. Activated option to allow user to force retrain. Activated option to view modem settings. Default modem delay is now 4 instead of 2. V 2.31, 5/8/94: Added NODE_LOCKOUT option to the config file. Added V.FC line probe data to report. Changed Preemphasis from "level" to "index". V 2.33, 5/16/94: Documented command-line mode. Fixed problem with Y11 missing fields. This should be the final beta of the 2.x release. V 2.34, 5/22/94 Added /A (append) and /H (header) options in command- line mode. When in command-line mode, will extract the last dialed number from the I4 screen and replace "Caller:" field. (Command-line mode only.) Y11 and xmit level are blanked for non-V.FC connections. [end]