ÛßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßÛ Û To look up an answer, begin at the SYSOP menu (which you start by typing Û Û SYSOP at the DOS prompt), then follow the menu selections indicated... Û ÛÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÛ ßÛÛß ÞÝ How do I try out Sapphire immediately? úúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:DEMO Is Sapphire good for a small company? úúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:FEATURES Is Sapphire good for a new sysop? úúúúúúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:FEATURES How do I install on another computer? úúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:INSTALL What if Sapphire doesn't work right? úúúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:TROUBLE Why can't I get my modem to work? úúúúúúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:TROUBLE What's new in this version? úúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:NEW What are all those files for? úúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:FILES Can I modify Sapphire to look different? úúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:CUSTOM How do I install door programs? úúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:EXTERN How do I install user questionnaires? úúúúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:STOCK Sapphire is great. How do I buy a copy? úúúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:ORDER Can I give copies of Sapphire to others? úúúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:DISTRIB What if my question isn't answered above? úúúúúúú SYSOP:INFO:SEARCH (NOTE: The eight most commonly asked support questions are answered below) ÛßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßÛ Û Û Û THE TOP 8 QUESTIONS THAT NEW SAPPHIRE USERS ASK OUR SUPPORT LINE Û Û Û ÛÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÛ 1) Why is Sapphire flashing the message "MODEM NOT READY"? Your modem is not configured correctly. To find out how to fix this, go to SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:TROUBLE and search for MODEM NOT READY. 2) How can I make a file available, so that everybody can download it? A) Place the file (usually a ZIP file) in the Sapphire files directory. (This directory is set in SYSOP:CONFIG:ADVANCED:GENERAL:PATHS, but in most cases it will be named something like C:\SAPPHIRE\FILES) B) Sign on locally, at the console, using the sysop's account. C) Use the GIVE command (e.g. GIVE MYFILE.ZIP). D) Answer the questions you are asked. The above instructions apply to the sysop, located at the actual machine running Sapphire. Remote users upload a file using the GIVE commmand and a standard file-transfer protocol such as XMODEM or ZMODEM, which should be built into their communications programs. 3) How can I make a file downloadable by only one (or a few) people? The procedure is the same as described in (1), but when you are asked questions about the file (see step 1D), you must do one of the follow- ing things: A) Place a "Private Header" in the file description. For information about private headers, sign on to Sapphire and enter the GIMMICKS command. Private headers let you make the file available to: - One or more persons - Everybody EXCEPT certain persons - One or more membership levels - Everybody EXCEPT certain membership levels When a file description has a private header, other users can see the name of the file, and the header specifying who can download it, but they can not read the description or download the file. B) One of the questions in step 1D allows you to give the file "only to people at or above my membership level", "sysop only", and so on. The definition of "Everybody" is specified in the configuration (see SYSOP:CONFIG:ADVANCED:TRANSFER:ADVANCED). 4) I put a file on the files list, and it disappeared. Where did it go? It's still there. By default, Sapphire commands show you what's new. You can, however, "turn back the clock" with the SET command. To see all the files currently available, enter these commands: ==> SET 0 0 T ==> FILES If you define a GUEST account (SYSOP:CONFIG:ADVANCED:SECURITY:NEW-USER), Sapphire can be set up to show GUEST users any files that have been added to the upload list during the past week, the past year, the past decade, or whatever you choose. See SYSOP:CONFIG:ADVANCED:SECURITY:SIGN-ON for details. 5) Are File Areas (in the GIVE and GET commands) the same as directories? No. File Areas are an extra entry associated with each file, which lets you categorize them by "type of file" (e.g. Databases, Reference, Utilities, etc.) All uploaded and downloaded files must reside in the Sapphire files directory (usually named C:\SAPPHIRE\FILES). This is because any files in that directory may be erased, as a result of automatic maintenance (i.e. to make room for new files). For this reason, if a file contains important information, you should place a COPY of the file in the files directory -- not the original. 6) How can I make the uploading process simpler for my users? A) You can provide questionnaires for the file description (See SYSOP:INFO:MANUAL:STOCK) B) You can provide default values for area and destination (See SYSOP:CONFIG:ADVANCED:TRANSFER) 7) What is the "Day Number"? The day number equals the number of days elapsed since we created the Sapphire program. (It was day number 1 on the first day, and this goes up by one every day.) Communications systems such as BBS's tend to assign an arbitrary number to various items (e.g. "Message Number"). Sapphire refers to various items by day number and time (on a 24-hour clock). The value of this method becomes apparent when you become more familiar with Sapphire's "universal" selection and filter commands. Unlike most BBS's, which have separate selection and filter procedures for each type of item (messages, files, logs etc.), Sapphire combines all these functions in three commands: SET, NAMES and TEXT. 8) Will Sapphire stop working at the end of the three month free trial? No. When you reach the end of the free trial period, some features are temporarily disabled, but all you have to do is call us or send us email, and we will give you an extension code. This will let you continue to evaluate the program, with all functions enabled. If you have less than two weeks before the end of the trial period, we recommend that you contact us for an extension code, so you can enjoy uninterrupted service.